Donations to Kiva itself (not loan-funding)

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by sellthesedownfalls, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are a few scattered posts about donations to Kiva itself, but I'm interested in hearing what other people are doing.

For ease of tracking my charitable contributions, I'd prefer to make one or a few larger donations to Kiva's operating expenses, instead of contributing a percentage of each loan I help fund.

What are other people doing? Does anyone have an insight into what Kiva prefers (if anything)?

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question!

I prefer to donate once at the end of the year for tracking purposes. Last year, I tried to put in about 10% of my total new money. The options are up to you - Kiva would like to move towards sustaining operations via individual contributions but they are very aware that charitable donations are personal choices. They are happy no matter how you contribute.

Also remember that you can use the Milepoint portal to donate to Kiva also. Its in the same bank of features as the Milepoint Kiva relending fund and Kiva Fellows support fund at this link and is called Kiva Direct Funds. I will double check to see if the Paypal credit card fee is waived for this or not.

3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were to donate to Kiva it would be thru a one off donation as it is easier to track for tax purposes. Also keep in mind you may have an employer who matches charitable donations, so in effect you would be able to give Kiva double.

If you are donating per loan be wary of the expiring loan syndrome. If you make loan #1 and donate the $3 whatever, if the loan expires your $3 doesn't come back. If you keep donating to loans that expire and add on the $3+ for Kiva, it will be an expensive exercise without actually making a loan.

4. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Toula.:)

Keeping records of tax donations to Kiva is one of the things I have not found wanting lately with this 503(c)(3) charitable organization. Kiva does provide a detailed letter for tax purposes so I don't have to track it. I go to the porfolio drop down menu and click donations. That page shows all moneys donated to Kiva. On the left is a link to a letter from Kiva detailing the totals donated as a receipt to give to your accountant or for your Turbot Tax records for tax year 2012. (The first year I have been a Kivaphile). However, I need to remember to change my Kiva handle to my real name for the purposes of the letter printing since the document is addressed to tondoleo.

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is Kiva registered as a charitable organization anywhere other than the US? I looked for this info on their site but did not spot it.

For making loans it doesn't matter, but for donations it would be nice if I could get my government to pitch in by giving me credit for those.

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. So far Kiva is US registration only. There is work going on now to add not only Canada, but Australia, Germany and some other large donor countries. It is difficult to say how long that may take. We're pushing hard!

MissBurrill, kiwi, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be great news. If the government pitches in their 40%, I can donate more. And many people only donate to charitable organizations. I suspect Kiva knows this anyway, hence the effort to get registered. :)