Donating miles...fraudulent?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bonnerbl, Mar 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the Kiva Do I suggested that a Milepointer could purchase a ticket to send a Kiva Fellow to their overseas assignment and the Fellow (who already was a MileagePlus member) could then gift the miles to the purchaser. It got a resounding rejection one
    Person saying it was fraudulent activity. But if I don't get the objection. I can give my miles to someone else under the rules. What am I missing here? Or was the "fraud" charger woefully misinformed?

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    My interpretation of your question was that you would purchase the ticket for the fellow and have the miles credited in your name, which is against the T&C of most airlines which require the recipient of the miles to be the one who actually flies.

It is possible to transfer miles once they have posted into the fliers account, but typically the transfer rates are not economically viable options (3cpm+fee) as it is often more than buying the points.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wrong interpretation :) so I was correct in my proposal. The economics of it being another question.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The transfer of miles in exchange for any consideration would likely be considered bartering under the rules and would not be permissible. I cannot buy you a ticket in cash and have you transfer 50,000 RDMs to me in exchange.