Donald Rumsfeld Patted Down as TSA Unveils New Security Measures

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Jul 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/07/tsa-and-new-security-measures.html

Even Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld gets the pat-down from TSA. So do babies and grannies and that is part of the reason that the government agency is ready to try a new approach.
    Gossip website TMZ published photos of the former Defense Secretary smiling as TSA agents at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago patted him down during normal security precaution on Wednesday.

The frisking of someone as recognizable as Rumsfeld prove that the system does not discriminate, even in favor of the very famous.

Rumsfeld tweeted about it – “It takes those of us with two titanium hips and a titanium shoulder a bit longer to get through TSA,” he wrote.

But the agency that has come under criticism for patting down the elderly and infants, and now says it is ready to try a new approach for some passengers.

Today the Transportation Security Administration announced a pilot program which it says will move towards “risk-based, intelligence driven” security screening. TSA Spokesman Greg Soule told ABC News, that this pilot is an effort to “focus more on passengers we know less about, and not focus our resources as much on passengers who are less of a risk. However, there will continue to be an element of randomness and unpredictability.”

savydog and cordray2643 like this.
  2. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it just me, or does he look a little too happy while he's being patted down?

Mike

3. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    sickening propaganda article by one of the members of the ministry of information news outlets (ABC)

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    translation- they'll harass the sophisticated frequent fliers less, since we know the game and know our rights and are more likely to raise a stink and educate people about the stupidity. Instead they'll harass the once-a-year vacation flier more, while trying to convince those voters that the kabuki theater is a good thing and more money needs to be spent on it.

Meantime, none of the changes will have any effect whatsoever on a real terrorist.

5. Cage
    Original Member

Cage Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind if the TSA harasses the average joe more than frequent flyers. I consider it payback for all those comments about "I would do anything for security. I have nothing to hide". How do you like your grandma and six year old daughter treated like they are trying to smuggle WMD onboard? Payback's a b!tch.