Don’t sit by me! Why travelers are antisocial

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Aug 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today: Don’t sit by me! Why travelers are antisocial

I thought this list of methods people use to keep a seat open were pretty amusing. I know if a train appears empty, I'll put my bag next to me, but, when it's busy, I place it at my feet or overhead.

Do we really try this hard NOT to engage with others around us? I know sometimes I just want to read, watch a video, listen to music, or take a nap...other times I'm perfectly fine chatting. I

Certainly an interesting thing to consider!

:)

jbcarioca, uggboy and sobore like this.
  2. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I've found people tend to be more chatty on trains than planes. I've gotten into some rather bizarre discussions on the train from New York to Richmond Virginia (including the guy heading to Virginia Beach to visit his girlfriend who felt an instant connection and felt we were meant to be together :-S). There are times when I'm okay with chatting because it makes for interesting stories; when I'm not I just pop my earphones in.

In being completely honest with myself, I think I mostly engage in nonsocial transient behaviors on the bus. I make a beeline for the empty seat and begrudglingly give it up when the bus gets crowded.

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, it's all about the mood we're in.:cool:

violist, LETTERBOY, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think many people would be open to a bit of friendly chat, the keyword is bit.
    The fear is you may encounter ‘ol loud mouth, know it all, listen to me guy.
    This is why every so often you’ll hear of someone trying to open the door mid-flight, they are usually seated next to him.

violist, LETTERBOY, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have a link to the original research? I could use some more creative ideas such as the Kleenex one.

anabolism, rwoman, violist and 2 others like this.
  6. bananajax

bananajax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eh, people are trying to get where they want/need to go, sometimes you dont want to be bothered. If you travel in a huge city you're going to run into more people that visibly want to be left alone rather than ready for a chat.

rwoman, uggboy, violist and 1 other person like this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, I'd much prefer to have more space around me and to not interact with others. But, for a shorter trip where I'm not going to try to sleep, I'm fine with chatting, and admit I've had some interesting conversations. But my natural instinct is to avoid contact/interaction. As an engineer, I work with people who are far less able to casually interact than I am, so I realize we all fall somewhere on the scale.