Domestic UA FC (A) booking class?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MSPeconomist, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a question where I would know the answer for DL, but I am doing *A *Gold on A3 and I want to be sure that all of my miles will credit as expected and that UA will not deliver any bad surprises.

I am looking at a ticket on united.com where I request Business class or First class at the beginning of the booking, where these are the same as the route is flown with two class aircraft. The website shows me a ticket with Cabin First (A) and when I click for details, I see Fare code HUAUPN. I assume that this is a discounted FC ticket, essentially a coach fare with an instant upgrade into FC at time of purchase. This is a UA mainline flight, although the same is offered at other times for United Express flights. All are UA operated and would be booked as UA flight numbers on UA ticket stock purchased through the UA website. No codeshares are involved.

When I attempt to verify miles to be earned on A3, I specifically need to know the BOOKING CLASS, not booking code, cabin, class of service, or fare class. Booking class A, like the true FC booking class F, earns a minimum of 1500 status and redeemable miles, while full Y would earn 750 and discounted coach H earns 500 on A3 according to the Aegean website.

Can someone please reassure me that this ticket is definitely BOOKING CLASS A rather than H?

Also, how would this ticket be treated in IROPs? Is it considered to be FC or not? I would be flying as only a *A *Silver with official card in hand, using my A3 FF number only, in order to avoid any possible confusion with crediting to UA or CO by mistake, where I have no status. Do I need to worry about being booted to coach or worse?

2. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to ExpertFlyer, HUAUPN is not attached to a booking class, and is an Economy fare. That's all the assistance I can be... Sorry!

3. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    It should be a regular first class tickets for all intents and and purposes (just as any other united "up" fares). Granted there are occasional stories of misinformed agents about that.

(H is there largely for pricing and restrictions. Unlike F/A, it's likely not refundable for example.)

4. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    What is the city pair?

5. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    My flights of a similar nature have always credited as first class. There are reports that in irrops you will be rebooked in Y. Indeed on a tight connection I have been protected in Y (but that goodness made my originally ticketed flight)

Jeff

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea how they'll report it to A3, but as of now I'd bet that it goes over as an A.

IME the results have been mixed. Many agents, including in the clubs, have insisted that I was on a coach fare and that I was only entitled to a coach accommodation. I got into F eventually, but it wasn't easy. Similarly, I've been told on a swap to a TED plane (yes, that dates the event a bit) that I wasn't entitled to the downgrade comp. That one was resolved the next morning with an agent who was much more reasonable.