Domestic stopover in Hawaii on award ticket?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MarkEJohnson66, May 31, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. MarkEJohnson66

MarkEJohnson66 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never done a stopover before, and the bit of reading I've done so far suggests that it's only possible on an international itinerary (i.e. not mine).

I'm looking at economy award travel from LAX to KOA, but with a stopover of a couple days in Honolulu. Is that possible on an economy award ticket? Or is my best (or only) option to book two one-way award tickets (LAX-HNL, KOA-LAX), and buy the island hop out of pocket? Thanks.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've booked the latter all the time - a flight from mainland US to HNL, and return home out of another Hawaiian airport, with separately booked travel between the islands on HA.

And although you may get a better inter-island deal on another airline, beware that most aren't quite as reliable as HA. More than once I've seen the message boards at HNL loaded with "flight cancelled" messages for non-HA flights between the islands.

Insofar as I am aware, there isn't an airline that would permit a "stopover" of a couple of days between islands, but will gladly be corrected.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just played with this some more on the UA search engine. My above advice is from experience on AA award flights.

If you try to book a separate flight from HNL to KOA as part of your UA award travel, an error message pops up in the UA search engine when you try to book that leg of your flight. It doesn't appear that UA has separate flights available in their system from HNL to KOA.

I also see that some of the choices you are given in the UA award search engine include landing in HNL, with a lengthy stopover (e.g., 9+ hours), and then continuing travel to KOA on an HA flight. This is pretty interesting, as I've used AA miles for travel on HA from the mainland, and received AA miles for travel on HA between islands! So if you book one of these UA award flights, you can legitimately spend a few hours in HNL before heading out to KOA.

Of course you could fly out on UA from LAX to HNL or LAX to KOA, but apparently not as a separate award flight from HNL to KOA, as part of your UA award travel. If so, your "stopover" on Oahu appears to require another airline's transportation to get from HNL and KOA.

FWIW, you may also want to consider returning to HNL on a local inter-island airline to catch better seating and return times from HNL, instead of returning home directly from a "neighbor island". This is especially true with business/first class award travel.

Otherwise, your best bet to see 2 islands with UA economy award travel is to get to HNL, and return home from KOA, with purchasing a (relatively) inexpensive between-island ticket on one of the island carriers.

Comments welcome.

4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try booking as a multi segment, with that it doesn't care how long a layover you make.

Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried doing just that? For some reason, I haven't been able to get the UA award search engine to permit a separate flight from HNL to KOA.

6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tried that one. I did do a EWR, HNL, ITO, LAX, EWR.

Newscience likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that would work! At least it would get you to Big island! Although the OP did state that he wanted to go from HNL-KOA. And he'd better have a rental car waiting for him in ITO, for the long drive to KOA!

The UA award search engine won't allow to book HNL-KOA as a separate flight (or to pay for that flight separately, for that matter). But it strangely has HNL-KOA as a 9+ hour layover, as per my posting above.