Domestic Segments on GPUs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Scott Schmidt, Mar 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prior to the merger, United SWUs applied across an entire itinerary, in one direction. Then, a new policy came into place where domestic segments were covered by the UDUs and the overseas segments were covered by the SWUs.

I have applied 3 GPUs post 3/3 and it appears the old system is back in effect, as the domestic segments upgraded automatically while the over-water flights went on waitlist.

Is this a new policy, or a systems integration glitch?

2. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the overwater or international segment doesn't clear (as long as it is a BusinessFirst or GlobalFirst market), you will get your GPU back (even if the domestic segments clear). So I wouldn't be concerned that your domestic segments have cleared.

3. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    If true, that is a change I like... It was annoying at the old UA to have to call in and say you want to apply only to the long segment...

One of the GPUs is sponsored for a non-premier member (my father); what happens if his over-water flight doesn't clear?

bta and LAXtraveler like this.
  4. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not a change for us PMCO folks ;). And as far as the GPU for the non-premier member, the process should be exactly the same. If his overwater segment doesn't clear (as long as its a BusinessFirst or Global First market), the GPU will be refunded to the sponsoring account.