Domestic overnight layover

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ctdohert2, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to book a United award TPA-IAD-HNL. The IAD-HNL flight leaves at 0900. Can I fly in the night before and not be charged for a separate flight? If so does it have to be the last flight in? Also does United consider BWI to be a co-terminal with IAD? Thanks in advance...Charlie

2. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! Usually UA only gives 4 hours max as a layover when travelling domestically, but it's worth a try to give UA a call and see if there's anything they can do.

3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if this answers your last question, but BWI, IAD, and DCA are very physically distant from each other. BWI and IAD are almost 60 miles apart from each other. United has a very small footprint at BWI (compared to SWA, that continues to expand there), and a significant presence at IAD, as you are aware. Good luck, and enjoy HNL! ;)

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can recall booking many ORD-LAX/SFO-HNL (or other Hawaiian destination).

Mrs Willie & I would want to work a full day, then catch an evening flight to LAX/SFO (arriving after last flight has left for Hawaii), overnight, then first thing in AM fly to Hawaii. UA used to not even blink an eye when we did this but I recall the past few times I wanted to do this they either wouldn't allow it or wanted to charge a heck of a fee to do so. (insert thumbs down icon) Really ticked me off as I'm not trying to overnight but the schedule just worked out better for us that way.

marcwint55, UA191 and MSYgirl like this.
  6. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome, crdohert2! And I agree with comments here and particularly UA191 -- doesn't hurt to give 'em a call. Good luck!

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could book the TPA-IAD-HNL then try to do a Same Day Confirmed Change inside the 24 hour window if your fare class is available for the previous night's TPA-IAD flight to get the overnight. I've done it quite a few times without issues as long as the fare class is there.

UA191 and marcwint55 like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what if there is no availability in that fare class? :eek:

Also, looking at some dummy bookings, is there even a flight from TPA in the morning that would reach IAD in time for the 9am departure to HNL? I don't see any, but perhaps that's due to #searchfail

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 Active Member

Status Points:
    That was my point...there is no way to get from TPA or even MCO ( my second choice ) to make that departure. That's why I was wondering if the overnight would be allowed. Seems like it should be. I tried calling United and they priced it out as two awards, however the agent, to put it nicely, was definitely not one of their best As far as I know IAD and EWR are the only two that fly non-stop from the east coast to HNL...EWR is not available. I will try calling again.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    marcwint55 likes this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make an on-line dummy booking and insert the TPA PM exact departure time.
    A number of flights will come up including those with a lay-over and the miles shown required to redeem will be exactly the same as for a single award.

I did a test and it came up like that for TPA/EWR/HNL (cant remember date ... I think it was Oct 1, 2014)
    Anyway the point is it appears you will not have to book two awards.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  11. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure how you are searching. When I search one way TPA-HNL I don't get the IAD choice. If I use multicity it prices out 2 awards. Thanks for the info, could you please clarify what you found...Thank you !!

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awards to HNL don't seem to very easy and I suspect you will have some difficultly getting this done.

a) I was unable to replicate what I seen before before ( I had just inserted a random date)
    b) However if you put in TPA/HNL for 9/22/2014 and insert 1900 hours for departure time you come up with:
    9/22/2014 UAL 1689 LV 1940 ARR (EWR) 2245
    9/23/2014 UAL 342 LV 0630 ARR 1935 this flight apparently makes two stops but there is a direct EWR/HNL flight which leaves around 0900

In any event... the point is that the miles shown for the above is 20k..ie a single one way award.

13. ctdohert2

ctdohert2 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your help. The space is available in first for the days I want but I have to book through a partner so I am looking for the correct info before I transfer the miles.