Domestic + Intl flight, same flight number, post as two segments?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jan 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was always under the impression that if you had the same flight number for both domestic and international that you would only get the mileage as if you had flown the route end-to-end nonstop. My flight this week, AA69, operated MAD-MIA-SFO. I had only expected to get the miles for MAD-SFO (5,811 miles) and instead got mileage for both segments (7,009 miles). I only booked this routing because it was a sale fare and a return via JFK was not available at the $700 fare.

Am I thinking back to my UA days when this is what they did, or is this just the way AA credits? Can't recall ever booking SFO to any international destination on AA with the same flight number all the way through.

Also got over 7,000 base miles flying over (SFO-DFW-LHR-LIS) which is exactly what I expected there.

uggboy likes this.
  2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you get 2 segments for the AA69 flights?

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It posted as two segments with full miles for each segment.

Tom in the SFO AC

flyforawg likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No sure if its because it involves an International segment but AA has in the past, always give credit for (two segment) domestic flights with the same number equivalent to the miles on a direct flight.
    One could often get the miles actually flown by calling in into AA customer service and requesting such.

Not sure what US did (even if they do have two flights with the same number) perhaps this is a result of the aligning of systems????

5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a flight last year on US SFO-CLT-LGA. One flight number, one segment, but forgot to check the mileage. Will look back and see if I can find and update this post. [US AIRWAYS 1954 Y SFO LGA 2,579]
    Personally, if the wheels leave the ground, I want credit for a segment. I wouldn't book a flight like this again.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    MX and jakem4800 like this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As tom911 notes, that was always a problem with United, because they would only give one segment and direct mileage credit irrespective of the "actual" mileage you'd get by adding the miles for each segment, the way you actually travelled. I don't believe I've ever had that problem on AA, though.

brodyf likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you booked it as a multiple-city trip, I believe.

Counsellor likes this.
  8. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown AA 198 ORD/JFK/MXP and the return 199 MXP/JFK/ORD several times and it always credits as a connection for EQS and EQM.

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., it sounds like I'm recalling how UA posted the miles, as I know when I was a heavy flyer there (1992-2012 with a couple year break after the bankruptcy), I avoided any international flights where there were two segments with the same flight number. Glad that AA doesn't handle it that way. It just looked odd when I saw both segments posted with the same flight number.

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I recall, that could work (and sometimes UA would let it slip through anyway), but the key seemed to be to have each segment ticketed separately with different (separate) boarding passes.