Domestic First Class Redemptions on US and UA now coded as 3 Class F

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by mowogo, Oct 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    unclepants likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, Aeroplan cost-cutting, as though the changes to their award chart in July weren't enough.

And of course it is absolutely silly that UA/US/CA call their domestic forward cabin "first class" and it's priced higher than "business class." At least Continental's premium cabin books into I. We'll have to see what the combined UA/CO does in this regard, it would be hilarious if only US Airways' and AIr China's domestic premium cabins cost extra. Hah.

3. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it's a joke, but it makes DYKWIAs feel special. :)

4. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am more pisses with the US carriers than Aeroplan. Those seats up front are business class seats and should be allocated to the I inventory. Instead they place it under O.

Other non American *A carriers have been charging the domestic first class as first class redemption because of this O class, and Aeroplan is following suit.

Classic case of "Dumb and Dumber"

Exit Row likes this.
  5. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why oh why?

6. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly UA/CO some what frequently and I do get upgraded most of the time. I can certainly say that you guys aren't missing much. Aside from bigger seats (I'm skinny...), normal sit in resturant quality food, and inexpensive wine, it is hardly considered "first class". Even at business rewards redemption, I wouldn't even pay the miles for it... it is just a waste. You can bring food that is just as tasty on to the plane for a fraction of the price and supposedly you have already enjoyed your wine at the lounge.

*A carries in Asia actually provides decent first class (most of the time). At least I get to eat smoked salmon and a three course meal on domestic flights.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The point here though is that domestic first class on UA and US used to be included in an international business class award. International business class now means coach on the UA/US segment. And that can be a long segment, eg LAX-CLT-MUC business class award LAX-CLT would now be in Y!

8. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it's UA/US that placed it into the O inventory in the first place. All those years Aeroplan did not have to honor the O class seats in North America as Business class reward, but they chose to. Now they are following the redemption patterns similar to other non North American *A carriers

As I understand UA has placed more flights under I class now?

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's just another reason to avoid UA and US ... as if I needed more reasons! Need to keep the award itineraries within the rest of *A. :(

10. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    i think its a move so we have to stick to Air Canada for our transborder flights.....and of course charge us with their "fees"

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This really only impacts connections through the US, I suspect, and any such ulterior motives are probably only coincidental.

As Napoleon is reputed to have said,

12. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    but if you are booked on AC on a TB flight, they charge an extra $15/segment not?