Domestic cut-off time has been enhanced to 45 minutes

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Lev, Apr 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got the following e-mail from AC:

Effective April 10, 2013, check-in and baggage acceptance for flights within Canada will close 45 minutes prior to departure – with the exception of flights leaving from Toronto’s city airport (YTZ), where check-in and bag drop-off will remain available until 20 minutes before departure.
    Good thing I do OLCI and carry-on 99% of the time when flying domestic.

Wonder what the rationale is for this change - perhaps too many people stuck in security lines delaying departures.

2. No the shorter time was affecting baggage loading and caused takeoff delays. AC now has the worst on time performance of any major airline and thye have an initiative to get much better.

LETTERBOY and The Winger like this.
  3. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sad state of affairs in these days of automation that a bag can't get from the check-in counter to the aircraft reliably in under half an hour. In the "old days" there was no cut-off, people had two free bags and somehow they didn't have all these delays.

Go figure.

4. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....any change on transborder?

5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    No change to transborder - only domestic.

6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the old days, no one was tracking and publishing airlines' on-time performance, either.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense, but if I was a customer I'd prefer that they do a better job of baggage handling rather than inconveniencing me.

8. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no problem with this change at all, I am tired of idiots inconveniencing me by showing up late and causing delays. One of the few enhancements I like.

East_Yorker and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think it would be more realistic to blame an airline that can't manage to perform than "idiots" checking in on-time. If they get held-up that's their issue.

10. Another issue is the idiots who show up last with too much carry on and then have to check the bag. This also causes delays

East_Yorker and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is such a source of delays, how to other airlines in similar situations manage better on-time performance with similar baggage policies?

If you need to put in place policies that inconvenience your customers in order to achieve performance-parity with other airlines with less restrictive policies, then there are other problems/inefficiencies that you are not addressing. If these issues are the result of Canada-specific conditions and not something that AC can control, then by all means work with what you can. If they are not, then it's a bit of a heavy-handed approach, especially for smaller airports.

12. Not to overly defend AC:
    1. WJA has just a little better on time performance and they do not have any long haul International flights.
    2. What would you say if AC and others made you put all your carryons through the bag sizer thay have at all airports? Most of have bags that fit empty and that's it.
    3.What if they absolutley insisted that your 2nd carryon go under the seat in front of you as thye ask each and every flight. Rest assured you would not like a bag sitting on a five hour flight in Y.
    4. In most major Canadian airports baggage conveyors are controlled by the aiport authority, not the airline.
    5. I rarely see a theoretical on time flight have a problem boarding people well prior to take off.
    6. Start paying attention to those things and I think you will see where the problem lies.

They are after other efficiencies they can and will make as well but late checkins are the major culprit based on their staff feedback. The sheer number of flights taking off at any one time in say,YYZ, should tell yout the story.
    From the bag checkin belt the luggage goes to a central sorting area. They must then sort by flight, by premium passenger and get the bags over to the plane they are on which could be at the far end of the gate areas. On domestic flights with over 100 to120 passengers on average at say 1/2 bag per, you should get the idea. AC is probably not lily white as they have cut down on ramp staff in order to become more productive and, in some cases, have subcontracted those activities to a minimum wage paying subcontractor. Finally, when have you seen planes so full as the last two years or so.
    I know you will come upon an answer that satisfies your need to blame them but at least look at the facts close up as I do flying over 140K a year. At the end of the day its 15 minutes and sometimes security can take up that period at busy times. It toook my line at YYZ the other day at around noon almost 15 minutes to clear because the people just in front of us had a dozen jars of pickles and other liquids in their carryons which were searched in detail. those things can happen and I was in the Nexus line, which is another story on its own.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    They also have restrictive cut-off times. It's certainly possible that there is something going on in the Canadian environment that necessitates a restrictive cut off time at many airports, but I'd rather see 30 minutes remain at least at smaller airports.
    I'd welcome it as I always travel with an internationally-compliant carry-on. I suspect that it would raise a lot of hackles with other customers and may make things a bit unpleasant, but that's really the only issue I'd have with it. If the move was made universally perhaps it would work.
    Again, this is something that I already do. If everyone has boarded and there's still space I'll move it up, but if I feel like I need the legroom I'll either pack light or check a bag.
    So let people check in later if they have no bags, or institute airport-specific restrictions.
    Are you saying that people checking-in late is not a problem, except for possibly bag-related issues?
    Personally, I think airport-specific restrictions and luggage-checking restrictions are reasonable. The bulk of my experience is with Delta, and for large airports with less-efficient baggage-handling they specify longer check-in deadlines than the default 30 minutes. My take is that this is a reasonable approach. You get some complexity/inconsistency as a drawback, but smaller and/or more efficient airports that have no problem operating with a 30 minute window can continue to do so, to the benefit of customers.
    http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/check-in/requirements.html
    Yes, YYZ is quite busy - 16th in aircraft movements in 2012, but only 38th in passenger movements 2011 (do not have numbers for 2012). 45 minutes is easily a reasonable time for YYZ, and if things were bad behind the scenes even 60 minutes would not be unreasonable. YUL, YVR, YYC are a step smaller, and checkin in the 30-45 min range depending on individual airport performance is reasonable. Beyond that you very rapidly get into smaller airports that, in general, should not have huge operational issues preventing a 30 minute check in time.

If AC was pulling off a systemwide 30-min checkin with bags, including Toronto, that's an impressive accomplishment. I just don't know that you need to apply the standards of Toronto network-wide.

Showing up late is always a risk. Security delays can happen and you may miss the flight. I just don't think it makes sense to extend worst-case requirements at the busiest airport in the country systemwide. Yes, security can take 15 minutes or even half an hour or more at busy airports and peak times, but no need to account for those same conditions systemwide.

I'm generally travelling carryon-only and checked in online (plus do not fly domestically in Canada all that much) so it doesn't really affect me much, but why make the restriction systemwide where it's probably only needed at maybe half a dozen airports?

14. As one who flies AC almost exclusively on a mix of domestic and long haul international I see all the problems I mentioned at almost every airport. Even with a one hour pre flight check in at airports like HKG there are issues with checked bags making it on time due to transfers from other flights,etc. with the exception if purses most peopl hate putting luggage or briefcases under the seat in front of them and try to avoid it at all cost. Thus the crowds elbowing each other to get on board first.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does HKG have to do with check-in cutoffs for domestic canadian flights? Also, if the problems are related to transfer passengers, check-in cutoffs have 0 effect whatsoever - increase the MCT if you really want to do something...or just accept some misconnects. I'm also unsure of the relevance of people in a rush to board

You seem to have transformed completely away discussing anything at all related to check-in cutoff times. 45 minutes is completely overkill for most stations.

16. On time performance is measured over the entire network but is worst on domestic flights.

Why are you so interested in AC on time peformance if most of your flying is on DL to the US?

45 minutes in my opinion for domestic flying in Canada is a decent compromise and works to alleviate problems beyond AC's control.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    ROTFLOL.

My normal modus operandi is to stay in the lounge until ~15 minutes prior to departure. I have lost count of the number of times I've headed to the gate to find that boarding hasn't even started for the supposedly "on time" departure.