Domestic connections - LIM

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by dhammer53, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm booked on 2 separate tickets. CUZ/LIM and LIM/EZE. The later is in busines/first. What's the minimum time I should allow for transit in LIM, since I may have to claim my luggage if I can't route the bags all the way through. to EZE.

My flight to EZE departs at 12:55.
    I can arrive in LIM at 7:55 or 10:30 am

Thoughts.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next question... we arrive around midnight. I'm not sure how long it will take to get our luggage. I may book an early morning 0430 flight departing from LIM. My wife will kill me, but if we've gotten the luggage and cleared customs, I don't think I'll have a lot of time between flights.

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAN will check your bags through even if they have to handwrite the claim check. I've never done domestic to int'l @ LIM, but I cannot imagine that it will take you more than 45 minutes, total, from disembarkation to back in the int'l gate area.

As far as midnight arrival to 430a departure, you may not have a lot of time. This is ZOOtime @ LIM, and depending on just when you arrive (i.e., a few minutes earlier or later), the immigration line can be substantial. So, unless you are early, you may not have much over a 3 hour wait to board. The domestic side now has a 24 hour Priority Pass-affiliated lounge. I don't know what the per-use fee is if you otherwise don't have access. I believe there's a shower.

Flyer1976, zpaul, Gaucho and 2 others like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The PPass lounges at LIM, airside, are OK... nothing to rave about, but OK.

zpaul likes this.
  4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Followup...

My wife decided that we should spend a full day and a night in Lima instead of losing a nights sleep while waiting for a 0430 flight. We're taking a late morning flight instead.

zpaul, SC Flier and desamo like this.
  5. f0zzyNUE
    Original Member

f0zzyNUE Active Member

Status Points:
    while being only one day in lima, i highly recommend "Mango's" restaurant at Larcomar in Miraflores. You get an all you can eat buffet with Peruvian specialities and a beautiful view over the ocean ... http://www.mangosperu.com/intro-en.html

Flyer1976, zpaul and dhammer53 like this.
  6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll have a second full day when we transit EZE/LIM - arriving around 10:00am, and departing at midnight LIM/JFK.

zpaul and SC Flier like this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Note that if you are int'l to int'l transit (and not an actual stopover), the LIM departure tax is not built into your ticket. You'll need to verify this, because you'll have to pay it upon your return to the airport to get through to departures, if your ticket construction is a connection and not a stopover. Since they have included it in the tickets for the past couple years or so, they have eliminated the payment booths (although someone has told me that there is one remaining, I suppose for circumstances such as yours). I believe it is about US$30.

I'd recommend you having lunch as your "big meal" in Lima, as your dinner would have to be too rushed and too early to insure plenty of time for airport return and departure tramites.

zpaul likes this.
  8. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Arrived Lima last night from Easter island and despite being off quickly the immigration line was over an hour (i arrived at 11:15 pm, out at 12:30 at hotel by 1 am) and a zoo as previous poster said. I am spoiled with US global entry and BA UK fast pass. if you can book a lunch or dinner cooking class at SkyKitchen, just did that today and it was fantastic! Four course dinner - the tripadvisor #1 rank is more than deserved! And the travelers I met were so very interesting.

zpaul likes this.
  9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our flight from CUZ arrived ontime. If we weren't sitting in row 5 (these flights only have coach), we wouldn't have had 20 minutes in the very crowded lounge, before we would board our flight to EZE. It was cutting it close. Real close.

The agent in CUZ booked our luggage all the way through, even though it was 2 separate PNR's.

zpaul likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is still time enough for a pisco sour in the very crowded lounge :)

Flyer1976 and zpaul like this.
  11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So much talk about Pisco Sour. I expected this to be a horrible drink. The only way I can describe this drink is to compare it to a whisky sour. Ever been to a Bar Mitzvah or Jewish wedding back in the day? If so, you have an idea what this taste like. ;)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    gregm and zpaul like this.
  12. drdavidge

drdavidge New Member

Status Points:
    I pretty much have the opposite itinerary doing Machu Picchu on a Tuesday to Thursday:

4:10 AM EZE ==> LIM in business on LAN. Arrive @ 7:15AM
    3:05pm LIM ==> CUZ in coach on LAN

Think we will have enough time to leave the airport and check out Lima for a few hours? How much time should I expect it to take from landing to leaving Lima airport and how early should we get there for the Cusco flight?

Then I continue on Thursday:
    CUZ==>LIM 7:30am / 8:55am (LAN)
    LIM==> GRU 12:05pm / 6:55pm (TAM) Business
    GRU==>GIG 10:35pm/11:35pm (TAM)

13. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    :):):) My Bar Mitzvah was in '79! :rolleyes:

14. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you arrive at 0715, you'll have some traffic heading to town. That will still give you plenty of time to walk around and get a taste of Lima. I'd head back to the airport at Noon. That will give you more than enough time.

15. drdavidge

drdavidge New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, you mean leave the town for the airport at noon, getting there at least 2 hours before my flight out?

dhammer53 likes this.