Dollar Car Rental - SJU San Juan Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport - Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by Sweet Willie, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cars for a 4 day weekend rate were only $6 a day. Rental facility is off-terminal.

I normally rent from one of the large rental companies but for $6 a day, I had to see what Dollar could offer. I'll report back on success (or lack thereof), just to be safe I have a backup rental at a company I've rented from before at SJU.

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be a decent deal.
    In SJU I usually rent from Charlie's Cars. Seem to be decent and honest.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    good to know.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok, so I had my $6 a day rental at Dollar at SJU, and here is my experience.

Shuttle van from terminal to Dollar's off airport location was prompt, quick, clean and had good air conditioning.

I was first inline to go through contract so didn't have to wait, but a downside would be a wait if there were other people. For $6 a day, I would put up with even an hour wait but I can be cheap like that.

Upon getting contract, one goes outside & gives it to an attendant. While standing there I'm looking at all the seemingly new'ish' cars, when out from the rear of the lot comes the attendant driving my $6 a day car. Let's just say not as nice as those cars in the front of the lot.[​IMG]

The car, a Nissan Versa, had some minor dings/scratches which the very observant & friendly attendant noted on the car form. I was asked to sign the form stating I agreed with the damage that was there.

When I got in the car, I noticed that it had 33,000 miles on it, which is not out of the norm for SJU rentals in my experience w/National & Hertz. Upon exiting, I tested the brakes, acceleration, steering, and all were fine so I continued on my way.

We were driving on the NE side of the island. Having been to PR many times, I like having a "beater" car as the roads are in poor condition, people drive & park like idiots and the car doesn't stand out when driving through the towns & out of the way places I like to go while in Puerto Rico. So while I would outright reject a car of this condition in a stateside location, in Puerto Rico I'm quite content with this car.

Upon returning the car is where it got interesting. The attendant fills out a new car condition form, noting any dings/dents they see. They also check to see if the spare tire & jack are present (something they DON'T do upon me receiving the car at the start of the rental). The attendant then gives me the slip he has filled out & instructs me to go inside to settle the contract. The agent behind the counter scrutinizes the pre & post car forms to detect any differences. The agent even made a 'hrumph' type noise & went outside to have a discussion w/the attendant. Upon a 5 minute examination of the pre & post forms, he prints out the charges (as per my booking) and we are finally done w/the rental.

Shuttle van back to hotel was clean, prompt & driver friendly.

Bottom line, would I rent from Dollar again? Yes by all means, BUT (repeat a strong BUT), I will make sure to check to see if the spare & jack are in the car to begin with & I will make sure to point out ANY scratch or ding I see that the attendant doesn't note.

I also strongly suggest making sure that one tries to pick up their car in the daylight (no matter which rental company you use) so you can see every nick/ding/scratch present.

PS: I also had read that SJU car rental agents like to give the strong sell on their insurance. I didn't experience this but had my own printout of my coverage just in case I needed it.

dmel likes this.