Doing Miles Run for First Time - Help!

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by sciliberti, Mar 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sciliberti

sciliberti New Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to bump my United MP status from Silver to Gold by the end of this year. I estimate that after finishing the travel I have already planned that I need another 21K to make Gold status. (I used miles this year for a few flights so no miles credit).

How do I begin to look at building a miles run itinerary that is efficient (won't be spending the night at the gate) and is cost effective? Thanks.

2. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get familiar with where your favorite airline (in your case, UA) flies. Also, get familiar with websites such as Kayak (especially the explore function) and ITA matrix. Use ITA matrix to search for fares across flexible dates to any location. What is your home airport? MRs from the coast cities or Chicago tend to come up most frequently for the best value.

3. sciliberti

sciliberti New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. My home airport is SFO so there are many options for UA from here or easy connections at LAX.

4. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are lucky. SFO is a good one for MRing (I'll actually be there tomorrow!). Similar to my home airport (BOS), you have a major upstart lower cost carrier (VX for you, B6 for me) to help keep the prices on the majors down. BOS can be a good run from SFO, sometimes MIA as well if UA tries to harass AA at their hub there. Look for fares into DL or AA hubs on UA, those are usually where UA runs sales with the greatest frequency. Use the 300 mile radius search on ITA from destinations as well, especially within 300 miles of NYC, as that will get all of the major northeast airports. Good luck!

5. rizwank

rizwank Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAX-BOS is cheapish right now, so for $220 I did roudntrip LAX-SFO-BOS and back. LAX-SFO-CLE-MCI was big for a while; not sure it's still open.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSP-ORD and MSP-DEN have been cheap during at least the last few months to compete with DL, but MSP-SFO generally is not. Too bad, MSP-ORD especially isn't very many miles and tends to run RJs in the middle of the day.