Doesn't the OGG-ORD 777 Stop in KOA? Why can't I book KOA-ORD Non-Stop?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Experience and some reading dictate that UA 370 stops in KOA b/c the runway at OGG is too short to accommodate a take-off at the TOW dictated to get to ORD. If that is still the case, why is United not selling KOA-ORD non stop? Instead I have to take a HA flight to get to OGG, and (I'm assuming) stop in KOA while the bird fuels up. Thus, I am subjected to HA baggage restrictions / charges even though the HA flight I am on is a UA code share number.

Suggestions? Answers?

2. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    WHen we flew what was then UA 003 OGG-ORD it stopped at KOA. Pax deplaned and new pax came onboard. So at least at that time it appeared possible to book KOA-ORD as I recall. (Actually the passengers who deplaned at KOA had come from ORD, and OGG had been their stopover on the "direct" flight)

Sorry I don't have any good suggestion though for now

3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all used to believe that OGG's runway was too short, but then a couple of years ago, they had summer non-stops from OGG-ORD. You can find the thread on FT somewhere. UA3 used to be the ORD-OGG-KOA-ORD flight, and they used UA4 for or something like that for the OGG-ORD non-stop. I didn't check the schedules, but if that flight stops in KOA, the schedule will show OGG-ORD as a 1 stop flight. 0 stops if it doesn't.

avflyer likes this.
  4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I guess that's why we don't see the 777 ghetto bird in KOA anymore. Thanks for the help.

5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the non-stop went seasonal, that's probably why you might not see it. Sometimes it's seasonal, sometimes Saturday's only, etc. Did you check UA370 to see if it's non-stop or 1 stop? At least the HNL-ORD non-stops are still there.

-David

6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm on 370 on a Sunday. The schedule shows it as non-stop. There is UA 237 which is HNL ORD also showing as non-stop.

I did a little more research on MTOW and minimum runway length on this plane. First, the range of this aircraft (772) is actually ~ 6,000 statute miles, substantially greater than the ~ 4,200 mile flight. At MTOW, the take off distance is 8,200 feet (I don't know how this differs from minimum runway length). So, it seems to me, they don't actually need a full fuel load OGG-ORD especially considering the prevailing winds are usually with you. So unless they are weighted down with cargo, they are not at MTOW. I'm not a pilot, but just eyeballing it here, I can see why the 7,000 ft OGG runway works on this mission. I'm going to try to note where we are relative to the end of the runway when we are wheels up. I'm guessing close.

Presumably, that when they did stop in Kona, it was actually to pick up and drop off pax, not to fuel as many had assumed. Shows that Big Island needs to do more to bring the folks in...but that is another thread.

LIH Prem likes this.
  7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure on UA3, the a/c was serviced in KOA, including fuel. There was no/limited servicing in OGG, and it was a pretty quick stop there. If you were traveling OGG-ORD you had to get off in KOA, and it was at least an hour stop there.

But you are probably right about the cargo (what would they be carrying? Pineapples? Flowers?) on OGG-ORD and you are certainly correct about picking up pax in KOA. You could book/fly ORD-OGG or ORD-KOA on UA3 outbound, and inbound you could book/fly OGG-ORD or KOA-ORD.

-David

avflyer likes this.