Does your spouse/SO share your addiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by b1513, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see a few spouses on MP who obviously have the addiction, at least a modicum of addiction or they wouldn't have logged on. My husband does not share my obsession. Points and mileage just do not excite him. What about your spouse or SO? Do points leave them cold?

Italy98 and Freddie Listo like this.
  2. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife has come to understand, though not share, my 'addiction'. She's reminded of the benefits every time we travel together, and sometimes when she travels by herself. :)

3. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend had never been out of the US until we got together a bit over a year ago....but we got her a passport and we've already been to England together...and Thailand later this year...I'm hoping to include her on a couple of mileage runs too. She doesn't really have any interest in getting into the mileage/points game hot and heavy herself, but she understands that it is my equivalent to 'clipping coupons' to do something that I enjoy and could not afford without miles/points, and she is getting more interested in travel all the time. I even got her a credit card with a 50K bonus, so she's off and running in the mileage department!

Just in the past week, she mentioned she'd like to go to China, Easter Island, Greece, and to see the Pyramids sometime, so I guess I'd better keep racking up the miles.

4. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but he is supportive of my "hobby" and he appreciates the benefits of airline award travel, nice hotel stays,etc., that we have been able to do. He is happy to have me do the hunting, reading, checking out deals, booking, and he will go with me to dines and some mattress runs. When I did some mileage runs last year, he drew the line -- "I'll drive you to the airport, but..". We've scaled the hobby back now, but I still chase the points and miles on a smaller scale. We still periodically review our CC's for which is best to use for a particular promotion, for example. So we share the goals but I do the work, which is fine by me.

5. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We do pretty much everything together--live, work, worship, sleep, travel, dance, fight, pretty much everything. ;) OK, he isn't really into shopping which is just fine with me, I sometimes enjoy shopping on my own.

I got into miles and points first, and sometime back in the late '90s, I realized that he was only about 10,000 miles away from 1K so I bought him a one-hour-turn flight SEA/CDG/SEA. He made 1K, got his 6 SWUs for that year and then turned right around and got another 6 SWUs in February.

From that point, we were both off and running and have never looked back.

6. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, not at all. He is happy for me to do the work and for him to reap the benefits though.

travelingmore and b1513 like this.
  7. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife doesnt share the addiction, she just enjoys the benefits of my addiction.

I have gotten her to use CC at all times, and coins when using cash, so thats a major help :)

Italy98, BWIflyer and travelingmore like this.
  8. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're equally addicted to points and we both love to travel. We've known couples in which one spouse wanted to travel and the other didn't want to leave home, let alone think about points. That would be difficult. [​IMG]

Fredd likes this.
  9. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    All I know is that my wife is thankful I now spend most of my time online looking at all things travel related - rather than what I used to spend my time online doing...

DebraI, hulagrrl210, catgirl and 9 others like this.
  10. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same for my wife. She will put up with some of my nonsense but will only participate in the benefits.

Italy98 and Kaanapali like this.
  11. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What he said above but replace "understand", with "greatly appreciate".

12. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would use the word "tolerates"....but keep the participation in the bennies :)

travelingmore and legalalien like this.
  13. Waterstrider
    Original Member

Waterstrider Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are both in the game, thankfully! Since we both qualify for 1k with very little work travel it is great to be able to do trips and MRs together.

We actually have a funny story about joining flyertalk. In 2004/2005 I was in grad school in London and WaterSki (chrisw on FT) was living in DC. We talked on the phone a lot and of course we were both looking to find good flight deals between DC and London to visit each other. WaterSki had found flyertalk and went to a one day mileage run seminar near EWR. He was trying to figure out a way to explain to me this crazy group of frequent flier enthusiasts when we talked on the phone that night. He started out, hesitantly, with "There's this website called flyertalk..." He knew everything was going to work out when I replied "Oh my gosh! I was just on flyertalk today!" I had just found it and had joined that day!

14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is getting into travel, I put her belongings on the curb and she keeps traveling back to the house with them.

15. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    my hubby is not nearly as active as I am, but still is a CO Plat and shares the love for travel. He has seen the light as far as the benefits of elite status in airlines and hotels. He has even ordered coins (once), while I have ordered coins in excess of, well, I'll just leave that little detail out [​IMG]

He lurks over on FT a lot, and hasn't really ventured over here much. He does enjoy going to DOs and such, just not really into posting that much

travelingmore likes this.
  16. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's too bad www.rimshot.com closed down. [​IMG]

Fredd and sobore like this.
  17. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still working on that. Projected completion date: whenever kids move out of the house. That is, not soon.[​IMG]

diver90 likes this.
  18. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'd best keep this handy. [​IMG]

BondAir007, cr34102 and diver90 like this.
  19. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    doesn't share the addiction
    loves the coin shipments, though... she knows that means more travel[​IMG]

20. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh, and SHE discovered the Hyatt card for me

21. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No we shouldn't. The site has been taken down. [​IMG]

22. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd. It's working for me if I click on the red button.

23. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    She's right. This really happened. I was quite relieved! IIRC the MR seminar was in Arlington, VA, though, and I was walking down 10th st by the FDIC when I made the call.

Waterstrider likes this.
  24. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife enjoys the benefits and she is now actively searching for a travel job now that I'm office based. I'm still not sure if that is a good thing or not [​IMG]

Chase likes this.
  25. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine is definitely not. She is completely anti-CC. Which is okay really, I'd rather have it that way than charging up a storm.

I just wish our favorite restaurants were iDine restaurants. There is really only one good one in our town that belongs to iDine.

BWIflyer, cr34102 and travelingmore like this.