Does using an Apple product cost more to book travel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by weevinweaver, Mar 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently, someone at work was talking about a study that was done which found that if you are booking any kind of travel (air, cruise, hotel, rental car, etc.) that you are paying a surcharge if you use an Apple computer. I went online to see if this was true and it is!!!!

My work computer is a Macbook Air and when I used Safari to book an airline ticket it cost $336.12

My home computer is a Dell and when I used Google Chrome to book the same airline ticket it was $312.42

I think that this should be illegal. Thoughts?

uggboy likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find this practice disgraceful. It shouldn't matter which computer / browser someone uses to book travel arrangements, let's demand dictate the price and not prestige.

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    However in a free market economy; this is demand/supply isnt it? If the seller determines that users from demographic A is willing to pay more for product X; they will price it accordingly. So in a broad sense ... it is demand that is dictating this

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I see, Apple users are willing to pay more. Interesting. Seeing it this way, in a broad sense, it is demand. It's like saying that someone visits our shop and drives a Rolls Royce wants to pay more for a product than someone who drives a Ford.

weevinweaver and edekba like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well a guy driving a RR might drop a $50 tip vs $5 ...

I believe statistics say that the avg mac user has more disposable income then others; but ... I own a mac/iphone (thx to work) /ipad (Thx to MP!) and I'm a broke ass so I guess whoever did that study didnt ask me :-p

TravelBear, weevinweaver and uggboy like this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The original information (it's a couple of years old) did not suggest that the same product cost more if you were searching from an Apple computer but rather that you would see more expensive products, or different ordering of products, if you were searching from an Apple computer.

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't own anything from Apple, I have never something owned from them, I'm far from wealthy, very very far in fact. Apple products are simply out of my usual budget. It is still unbelievable IMHO that Apple owners pay more for or want deliberately spent more money than they have to.

Regarding the higher tip, yes, from time to time we read / hear about such stories, I have never seen such behavior in the real world with my own eyes. I have always thought that wealthy guys are giving fewer and fewer when the expense does not aid them directly, it's a little bit like charity, wouldn't they receive a big tax break in their returns they wouldn't do it.

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    False... you'd be surprised that people with average cars tip more than those with fancy/expensive cars. I've noticed this while working at an upscale hotel.

The only time that I've noticed a person with a nice car tip more was when they didn't want the valet to move their car.

uggboy likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    To each their own ... different people & different exp.

Kobe Bryant tipped $50 on a $12 tab at a place my cousin worked at. (Quick Thai food place in Redondo Beach, CA) ... you can guess what the usual tip is.

But I guess ... Ferrari driver != RR driver.

uggboy and Jimgotkp like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, this only shows that Kobe Bryant has too much $$$$.

edekba likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They didn't show a higher price. They pushed more expensive options. There's a VERY significant difference.

If the OP is pricing the exact same ticket at the same time and getting different results there might be something amiss, but that's very different from the OTA thing from last year.

And get ready for more potential for the airlines to screw customers with differential pricing. It isn't explicitly what's supposed to come from the new system they're trying to implement but it is a potential side effect.

tommy777, arkleseizure, MX and 2 others like this.
  13. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is like internet racism. It should be illegal. If a white man goes in to buy a car and they charge him more than the black man because of the color of his skin. Its Not fair.

14. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope this was a joke. Comparing someone's inherent, unchangeable characteristics (e.g. race) to someone's use of a particular consumer product is pretty awful. It is not "like internet racism" at all and should not be made illegal.

arkleseizure, edekba and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an imac, iPhone, ipad and ipod....but I dont have a iPad mini....yet ;) (hello admins). It kinda just happened over a period of time. I do have extra income but it's because I am generally um.....thrifty, yeah that's the word. I can tell you if I don't like the price of something I am going to shop around until whatever it is gets into my comfort zone. I never one stop shop. Hell, I still drive my '93 Jeep Wrangler that I bought new in 1993 and that was after I test drove EVERYTHING!

Not sure one instance with a $25 difference is enough data to say it's true.
    Curious, did you do the searches at the exact same time? (or within minutes)

16. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your argument is that any price differences for the same product are inherently unfair (a word for which I have no definition), I'd suggest researching the economic concept of price discrimination (specifically, third degree). You see this all the time in the form of student or senior discounts for goods or services.

The issue that became a hot button issue for a bit, as has been pointed out a few times, was the suggesting of higher priced hotels to customers based on factors, not charging more for the same hotel. The title of the article linked above is pretty offensively misleading.

I'd be very surprised to hear that other factors (timing, capacity, etc.) weren't the cause of the OP's discovery of different prices

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you provide the example where I can reproduce this?

18. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it just Orbitz? I tried Travelocity and AmEx Travel, as well as Delta.com and USAirways.com - no price differences.
    My equipment:
    1. MacBook Air / Mountain Lion
    2. iPhone 5 / iOS 6
    3. Dell / Windows 7

Please give me an OTA and airports/dates and I'll do a side by side...

19. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I book a ticket ten minutes apart on the same PC the price can come up differently, It's unlikely that the price difference you saw on this one ticket at different times is related to your choice of computer. Airline tickets are sold with complex yield management and prices fluctuate constantly.

20. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a question of how you value your own time. If I am more efficient with an Apple product, or can do more with it, or waste less time with interface issues or finding the right App, the time I save in a few years vastly outweighs any price difference on the original product. In my IT experience, that's also true - Apple products usually require less IT support over time than Wintel, so the TCO is lower, even though the initial outlay is higher. YMMV.

robmac likes this.
  21. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    One day I found a pomegranate helper. It was the best $7 I've ever spent on breakfast. Most people I told them about it, asked why did I buy that when a paper towel or some rag and a kitchen hammer would do the same. After showing how the helper worked, no mess, easy clean up. Nobody asked anymore. However, nobody else got one.

Life is weird like that...