Does US really not waive fare difference under Travel Advisories

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by HeathrowGuy, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The US travel advisories seem to suggest the airline has the gall to seek extra fare in instances where it waives change fees due to severe weather. Is that indeed the case?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UACO does the same, if your original fare class is not available you will have to pay a pretty penny to change flights...

3. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the UACO waiver, some require same booking class and waive difference, others don't.

4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is indeed the case. $150 change fee waived, but the fare difference is still on you.

5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's nuts, given waivers often come out within 48 hours of departure, such that there will almost always be a significant fare difference.

6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you have a specific experience with this? I've made changes under travel advisories two or three times in the past couple years, and don't think I've ever paid more than about $20 (once I owed $2, another time was $15). I've always wondered if I just got lucky and fares hadn't gone up, or if in those situations they don't present you with the highest fare classes out there, so I'd be curious to hear about what others have encountered with this process.

It's still BS, but at least in my situations, it didn't seem like they were charging the same crazy high walk-up fare that you might otherwise see if you tried to book a ticket 36 hours in advance.

7. tpmgpeds

tpmgpeds Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar problem with US for a flight I booked July 2011 from SFO-EWR for May 2012. Wrote them a letter and got rejected.

I booked a UA codeshare flight thru US that had a US flight number. UA "cancelled" the flight by changing its flight number as part of their realignment with CO. The exact same flight still exists today however, but with a different UA number. For whatever reason that flight is no longer available to US as a codeshare and they would not rebook me into it. Fine. However, there are still 2 other codeshare flights with US flight numbers. I accepted one of these codeshares and they still charged me the fare difference, though they waived the change fee. US is proving why they are one of the worst service companies, never mind airlines, in the country. Somebody has to bring up the rear and they seem to do it so well.

8. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a pretty disappointing change.. however once at the airport, i've gotten plenty of flexibility with the move-up program, free to elites.

9. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on the agent you talk to, Friday when I went to change, the desk agent asked me for $2000 i asked about the travel waiver and he marked it as invol reroute and it came out free, although he didn't even get a direct confirm of there was a waiver, asked a co-worker and they thought there was due to the bad snow haha

I did read the waiver and it said it had to be same fare class

Flyer1976 likes this.