Does United think the staff are idiots !!!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AdamEfimoff, Sep 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What would be a fair amount and how did you calculate it?

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are a number of big companies that have moved away from large severance packages. Since it's voluntary and they say they're not planning layoffs, $100K could be a nice retirement bump for someone who was already considering a move.

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some people are already coming up with other options because they don't want to work under CO's brutal work rules which are likely coming down the road in the next contract. If they're already thinking about leaving anyway, a cash bump could help them ease their transition.

WilliamQ and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much would you propose?

It's an extra little bump offered to convince people nearing retirement to leave a few years early, or to a lesser extent to get people who want to get out to get out. It's not forced by them, so no need to offer more if they think it'll do the job.

mht_flyer and WilliamQ like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know someone who was laid off from AA after ~20 years of working with them. Here's what their "severance package" was = $0.00

7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I know is that if my current boss offers me $100,000 to leave.. I would.
    Making these kind of offers is a (very real potential) prelude of something that could be worse and this is the best he can get me.
    Corporations can get rid of staff in many ways.
    Better to part on good terms and a nice package.

iolaire, 8MiHi and Garp74 like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on the individual and their circumstances. If my boss offered me $100k to leave, I would certainly take it, because my prospects, savings and lifestyle are completely different from say a 40 year old FA that has been on the job for 20 years.

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a nice choice. I'd prefer to retire with a buy-out and this is a great buy-out. No one is required to take this offer but anyone taking it will receive $4000 per year of service, up to $100,000.

8MiHi, Garp74, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed but if the company is making suck an offer, it cannot be out of goodwill but rather necessity.
    If there is not enough take-ups and situation turns bad... the next offering might be worse.
    I am not saying the next offering might not turn out better by having the company dig deeper into its coffers but like everything in life, its always a best "guess" based on individual options and information available at the time of the decision.

Which makes that a great offer.
    It will unlikely set a stampede out of the door but those already having thoughts of leaving will likely jump at the chance.
    Those who stay certainly can hope for better recognition as the seniors leave so it might be a triple win with some money spent upfront by UA.
    It's certainly easier to pull this off while you are still profitable.
    If you have to borrow to make this happen, then things are really bad but in a way, all the more reason to leave while leaving is good?

Garp74 likes this.
  11. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    The offer is ideal for those at retirement age, and as such, it's more geared towards sUA's older workforce.

The company is most certainly doing it out of necessity. They have a lot to gain if they can get rid of older sUA workers:
    1. More junior workers operate at lower pay rates.
    2. Recall of furloughed workers gets productivity out of those healthcare costs (recall they're paying 100% medical for each furloughed sUA FA).
    3. Stacks the deck in the company's interest for a combined contract.

Flyer1976, viguera and WilliamQ like this.
  12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take the money and run, then go to work for an airline that might have respect for their employees and might even be a bit of fun to work for.

Flyer1976 and ssullivan like this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a MR yesterday into this morning in hopes that I'll hit 1K again before AA pulls the EXP challenge offer, assuming they do. Why do I want to stay 1K? In case I'm unhappy at AA and decide to reverse course, plus I'll still be flying CM either way.

In fact I have flown 8 UA flights this week so far (the others were necessary), with 3 more to go. There are quite a few contract workers doing previously UA employees' jobs these days, and they aren't bound by union contracts. There must be some pretty big savings there long term for UA. Seems like a potential win/win for those in a position to gain something from the offer. Short term, that is.

From a customer perspective, contract workers are never going to provide the same overall level of quality service as those invested in the future of the company. That's what UA's current management seems to be missing. Perhaps they aren't missing it, but don't care, as they know they'll be off chopping some other company to death by the time the real damage is done.

8MiHi likes this.
  14. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am now a union worker and our union has done a miserable job in protection the airport employees. I also welcome the use of contract workers doing some of the jobs they are doing. I like that they push wheelchair people, throw checked bags, monitor folks boarding express flights at common use gates and removing unclaimed bags off the carousels.
    At one time I was a contract employee (as a CO agent in SFO) for Frontier and Sun Country.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just because I am an employee of a corporation doesn't mean that I am necessarily all that invested (or motivated to be invested) in the future of the company. Or another way to look at it, if I am a contractor employed by a company that does work for UA, wouldn't I be invested in the future of my contracting company, who would more likely retain its contract with UA if I did a good job?

IME the more important success factors for a business are whether you hire good employees (or contractors) and treat them well.

brfong, flyforawg, ssullivan and 2 others like this.