Does UA still offer the option for 1K re/qualifiers to receive their GPUs before Jan 1?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked my usual year-end trip to spend three weeks in Asia between Dec 15 and Jan 9. While I have 2 GPUs remaining, I could only use one of these to request upgrades for outbound flight segments since both upgrade instruments would be expiring on 12/31 and thus would not be valid for upgrading the inbound flight segments in 01/2013. The other option is to use miles and $$, but this would cost $450 on top of the ticket price and 30K miles, which I am not willing to pay. That leaves one last option: I will hit 100K+ PQMs in mid-November to requalify my 1K status. Would I get the GPUs right after I requal for 1K or would I have to wait until Jan 1, 2013 for the GPUs to be deposited? Also, before the merger, UA was giving 1K re/qualifiers the option to obtain their SWUs before Jan 1. Is this still an option post-merger? I realize that since my return trip isn't until Jan 9, I would at the very latest have 6 new GPUs on Jan 1 that I can use to request upgrades, but that is so close to the return date that my chances of clearing might not be that good; it remains an option, nevertheless...
    I could not find the info about when GPUs are made available to 1K re/qualifiers anywhere so thank you in advance for your thoughts.:)

2. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe they are now deposited when you hit 1K, rather than in January.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What you surmise would seem to be the case if we should take the following, which is the only thing I could find, literally:
    The keyword is "when"...If so, then I should expect to have 6 GPUs deposited some time in mid-November, and that would be a departure from PMUA.

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Count on them being deposited the month you cross the 100k mark.

Would Mileage Plus move them? I doubt it.

For what it's worth, I VDBed a heavily oversold flight (by 32, already oversold and was downgauged). Did this in mid-February of this year. The seat I gave up was upgraded via (then) a confirmed regional, which was going to expire in a week, at the end of February.

Called Mileage Plus the next day to see if they would be willing to extend the CR-1 by one day for a flight on March 1st. Wouldn't budge. Operator even volunteered for me to talk to supervisor, she said no too.

Welcome to the new United.

cvsara, AZjohn, NYCUA1K and 1 other person like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar experience here. I did inquire as to whether the GPU expiring on 12/31 could be extended to expire just 10 days later to allow me to request upgrades for the return trip. The CSR said that GPUs cannot be extended. I said that my recent past experience is that they can be extended. She was not aware of any such thing. The super came on and said that the determination of whether to extend is made at the end of the year and not now. End of story.

I just hope that my new 6 will be deposited around the time of my requalification as surmised...

6. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't like what you hear, keep calling back :)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you fail once, try again and then again...a sound advice when dealing with CSRs.:)

8. OnePassenger

OnePassenger Member

Status Points:
    I re qualified for 1K yesterday (for the remainder 2012, and 2013) and I got my 6 GPUs today!

IDGflygirl, desamo and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as the expiration is stil in Jan 2014 this wouldn't be a problem, but my guess is you'll have to use them by August. Stupid.

tommy777, JLSocks and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for confirming!

Excellent point, which is why I have not rushed to reach Premier Platinum, despite being less than 800 PQMs from it. I wanted to delay by as much as possible the expiration date of the two RPUs that I would get. With biz trips scheduled to EZE, SFO, and HNL between Sept and mid-Nov, I will have no choice but to reach both the Platinum and 1K levels by mid-November, which would still be too early for me because then I would have no GPUs at all for my year-end far-east escapade next year...You win some and lose some!:confused:

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you hit 1K earlier next year.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully they expire 8/31/2013 and not 7/31/2013.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update:

Just hours after I started this thread, I received a PM from a MilePoint member, who has a GPU that expires on 01/21/2013, which he kindly offered to use to sponsor upgrades for my return trip -- something that I could not do because my 2 remaining GPUs expire on 12/31/2012! The sponsored deal went through successfully, with upgrades for the 2 long-haul segments (17+ hr combined) out of 3 clearing immediately upon application of the GPU.

Is the MilePoint community great or what! Ask and thou shall receive.

Hearty thank you to the generous sponsor and to MilePoint for providing the forum!

IDGflygirl, tommy777, unavaca and 3 others like this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    With me relying solely of Y fares to reach status (i.e., no COS PQM bonuses), fat chance. It will always be a long slog to the finish line, but having fun doing it...:)

BTW, is a MilePoint member a MilePointer, just like a FT member is FlyerTalker?

15. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a cool thing for that milepointer to do! I was in no hurry to get my R/GPUs either but business travel put me over the mark early this year. Oh well, for international travel I usually have to buy fare classes that don't work with GPUs, so I end up using miles. So, my instruments usually go toward upgrades on summer travel for my sr. Citizen parents or my brother who is a single dad traveling with his young child. At the end of the day, no harm done in getting them in Q3.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really cool thing. For me, my long-haul travel happens in Q1&Q2 and then Q4, so I am always mindful to have GPUs for Q4, which is why I try to delay requalifying for as long as I can...

17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI... I often buy Z fares for less than price of Y fares. I might not have made 1K this year without the 50% bonus, plus I'm guaranteed the front cabin ride. Are you booking your tickets late? In my case, I usually know where I'm going several months ahead of time, so that clearly gives me an advantage on Z fare availability.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bureaucrats who do my travel expenses would still complain if I buy a Z ticket. It is not so much the price as what it says. If it says anything but economy, they will want to know why I did not follow "company's rules" and purchase an economy ticket. Even when I am upgraded, because the BP would say Business or First, I must present the original receipt that shows I had originally booked an economy ticket. The lowest GPUable Y ticket is allowed, so my approach is to get keep re-qualifying for 1K on the 'company' and get GPUs for all the long long-haul trips that the 'company' would otherwise have me take in Y...

It works for me...beautifully, actually.

19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    @NYCUA1K - That makes sense... In a senseless sort of corporate way. ;)

You remind me why I left the corporate world to run my own business. The freedom to do smart things instead of things that "appear" to be frugal is one of my biggest advantages in the battle against much larger competitors. I just hope that those who take over when I'm gone remember the philosophies that made us successful in the first place. (I also hope that's a long time from now!)

Another key difference is that I'm buying those Z tickets in an international market that is relatively short-haul (Costa Rica or Colombia to USA). Heck... RPUs are all that they require for use between here and there. For some reason, the difference between Y & Z in the domestic market is much different. Or maybe it is the difference between the discounted E+ fares and the discounted F/BF fares in this market and domestic.

I rarely buy a domestic ticket in the front cabin, as the price difference is substantially greater. I do fly around a lot once I get to U.S. soil, and there I depend more on CPUs or RPUs. Spending my own money makes decisions come from a different perspective indeed.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My "company" is actually the medical school of an Ivy League university in Manhattan that gets most of its funding from taxpayers (NIH) as research grants through "Principal Investigators" like me, so that every penny must be accounted for and extravagance is punished (e.g., no 'business' or 'first class' ticket; no premium room in a hotel; no alcohol for business meals). So what you do is you join a site like MP, learn the tricks of the trade, and then you are able to do everything that is verboten...cheaply, within company rules (e.g., book Y and travel in C because you are 1K and have GPU/RPU/CPU to upgrade you; book the cheapest room in a hotel and be upgraded to a suite because you are a HH Diamond;... I have not yet figured out how to get around the restriction to have no alcohol for biz meals :D ). The only thing that I get to choose is the location of scientific conferences that I attend, and with thousands in my field to choose from every year, I pick mine to be as far away as possible so that I can accumulate the miles...

In short, I am really having a ball ... cheaply...:)

21. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess our situations aren't all that different, really. You travel cheap because you have to, and I travel cheap because I have to. We just have different forces driving our need to conserve the dollar.

I can attest to the fact that many a cheaper fare than Y will still get you an upgrade as a 1K. When I opt for E+ I always buy the lowest price fare that fits my schedule, and I rarely sit in E even as a Platinum. Not sure how much difference being 1K will make, but it can't hurt. Looks like I'm going to find out soon.

NYCUA1K and IDGflygirl like this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am usually not very concerned about getting an upgrade on domestic flights shorter than transcon. My reference point is almost exclusively intl travel, where there are no complimentary upgrades unless you purchase Y/B, which are also verboten. The cheapest fare I can purchase for intl and be able to upgrade with GPUs is W. I am not too keen on using miles for upgrades and I find the co-pays for intl flights to be too high. In short, I know that I can get upgraded on very cheap flights domestically but I have a different reference point: to be able to travel up front on long-haul TPAC flights 3-4 times a year...

KenInEscazu and IDGflygirl like this.