Does TSA keep a list of opt-outers?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last night at LIH, I picked the wrong line and ended up in front of the scatter box. The TSO directing people into the box was actually quite polite and professional and pointed out the option to opt out, which I (as always) did. Nothing unusual about the whole process -- until the TSO doing the pat-down asked at the end for my BP and started copying my name and other information into a log. I asked him what that was for, and he said it was "a receipt that we did the pat-down". Hmmm, a receipt? Doesn't make any sense to me. I have probably opted out about 10-12 times since the program started and my information was never recorded. Has anyone else seen this happen?

2. No proof that they keep a list but others have frequently reported having their information recorded in other forums. The receipt story sounds totally bogus and there is no evidence that there is any "receipt" policy.

The only time they must keep a record if the pat down is opposite gender, male on female or vice versa. That has a specific form that must be completed and usually signed by a STSO or LTSO.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have ALWAYS OPT-OUT at all airports, not once was my name written down...I would have flat out refused.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    He asked for my BP; at that time I didn't know yet what was going to happen next. I guess from now on my BP will be stowed in a carry-on after passing the ID checker (which would have been with my wife, who didn't opt out and took care of my bags).

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please consider reporting this unacceptable behavior to your Congressional representative, just on principle.

IMGone and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I sent a question earlier today to the TSA about it. (that might mean that I am now on two lists... out-opters and crazies who question TSA processes)

Freddie Listo and ACMM like this.
  7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've opted out at least 15 times so far and have never had my name/info taken. I also wouldn't provide that information to be written down. Do we have any resident TSA employees on this board, or insights from FT?

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually when you opt out they want to check your bags, too. At least, they ask me which are mine and tell me not to touch them. If they do that, putting your boarding pass in your bag may not work. You could just refuse to hand it over, I guess, or use a mobile pass and refuse to unlock your phone.

9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only time I've opted out and they've wanted to check my bags also is when I had some maki rolled up in aluminum foil. Ironically, it was a Japanese 3-striper really pushing the process - need to swab it twice, need to open it for "a visual" (verbatim), need to run it through the x-ray a second time. Ok, that's neither here nor there - point is that bag inspection has only happened to me once in conjunction with opt-out. I do always get the whole "don't touch your bags, tell us which ones they are" thing, although they've also lately been a lot more insistent on my not moving from the spot they've told me to stand.

10. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, my representative is a fascist and supports such behavior, based on his responses to my letters on the subject of airport security and the antics of the TSA.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now you know not to show them your BP if asked.

IME they don't do anything special about the bags when I opt out. They just carry them for me to where they do the pat down. In LIH they asked if I was traveling by myself or if I hadnsomeone who could take care of them. My wife was there and packed everything up.

As for using a mobile BP (not an option in LIH) I suppose I could always accidentally hit the delete icon as I bring up the email.

The TSA "home office" couldn't answer my email question and forwarded it to the LIH "station manager" (or whatever that guy/gal is called).

12. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear that.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  13. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's OK, we all have our swastika to bear.