Does Travel from Mainland US to Hawaii require any documents when traveling with children?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by enichols22124, Jul 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When traveling with kids, going from the Mainland US to Hawaii, with American citizen children, can they travel just like on a mainland domestic flight, without any ID or birth certificate? I always thought you would at least need a birth certificate with you, but my fiance says we can travel without any ID for them. Has anyone done this?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went with my (then) 2 year old last year and as far as I can recall he had his passport but we were never asked for any sort of paperwork in either direction.

3. CMX

CMX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaii is a state, just like any other! Have fun!

skyvan, LETTERBOY and viguera like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

There are sometimes asks for supplemental papers when traveling between the US mainland and the US territories in the Caribbean...(adults or kids)...but no such asks to Hawaii.

You will be subject to an agricultural inspection on your departure back to the mainland.

viguera likes this.
  5. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Thank you, she wins the bet. I'm so used to be asked for visas, passports, and other things that it is shocking I can still travel with a little person and not have to worry about bringing even more. Thank you everyone!

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Well if it's any consolation, if you ever need to travel internationally alone with the child things become much more complicated. :)

7. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Yes, I've traveled internationally with my brother's children, and I had what seemed like a dozen documents, passports, visas, permission letters from the parents that they were traveling with me and it was ok, their contact information, etc. That's why I just presumed I would need *something* to show at some point. Now my only concern is how to keep the tablet devices charged for the trip, since it seems their games are so intense the batteries are dead in two hours. :) I like when it's a more mundane problem like that.

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Grab one of those hyper juice boxes that someone was touting here... should be enough to keep even a laptop charged for most of a day.

When I flew out there I did EWR-PHX-HNL and it was a very long time to keep all my stuff juiced up, but the PHX stop was for 2 hours so we were able to plug in and charge up.

Of course we were in US F with no IFE, so we had to roll our own for the little one. Had we been on a different carrier with IFE (or at least in-seat power) that would have been easier. I guess that's the bad thing about Hawaii being treated like a regular domestic flight.

9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even worse. Hawaii is considered a leisure destination by most airlines. So, they throw every ghetto-bird they can at that market. Some notable exceptions, including HA and AS, but for the most part, you are on your own.

viguera likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Tell me about it... I was on the US 757, and while it was certainly nicer than coach it's not a very nice F experience. :)

11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same with the UA 75s. You get a bigger seat and something they laughingly call "food". They are starting to run some 739s now, and admittedly a more comfortable experience, but you don't get the whole Direct TV thing over water. What remains of the IFE is much better than the normal United experience, but relative to the European and Asian carriers, it still sucks.

viguera likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no IFE on the US planes to Hawaii, so they suck more :)