Does this mean no flights available?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by pnoeric, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, I'm looking to the routing experts who might know why this is failing... I'm trying to add a segment to a simple LAX-ORD flight on AA. The fare code is OA14XQY1, on February 7, 2012, for $99 base. With taxes and fees, a one-way flight LAX-ORD comes up at $109. So far, so good.

When I check ExpertFlyer about that fare code, I see that this routing is allowed:

LAX-TUS/STL/SMF/SLC/SJC/PHX/OKC/HOU/ELP/DFW/DEN/ABQ-CHI

So then I think to myself, ok, cool, let's try to add SJC (making it LAX-SJC-ORD) to pick up more miles, but I can't make it price out. The scheduling and connections are all okay, but it comes up in a different fare bucket (N) for $170.

I thought maybe this was happening because it wasn't in O, so out of curiosity, I searched for just O seats flying LAX-SJC and none came up. Is that why?

I'm new to this whole thing (learned it from Lucky's talk at the Chicago Seminars!) so I'm still trying to sort out all the pieces. I'd sure appreciate if someone can help illuminate what's going on.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    O fare bucket is available on many LAX-ORD flights, but not on LAX-SJC and SJC-ORD flights.

ExpertFlyer is a good place for such research. They just announced a free membership tier. I'd encourage you to sign up for it.

3. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks-- ExpertFlyer is actually what I was using to get the routing on the fare class, but I find it faster to piece together segments on ITA to see if it'll actually price out. So the issue was the lack of "O" bucket... got it. I'm learning bit by bit :) Thanks.

4. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Sounds like you are forgetting to check Availability (Step #5 at http://www.KVSTool.com/Planning-A-Trip.php).

pnoeric likes this.