Does this count as IDB?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by downhillcrasher, Jun 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a friend who was booked on AA 20 yesterday (Wed. 6/20) on a 763 from SFO-JFK. This flight was supposed to leave SFO at 3 pm, but was 'cancelled' (or, according to one phone agent, 'disappeared'). AA texted her telling her she had already been rebooked on a fairly horrible alternative itinerary. However, unbeknownst to us, AA had created a new flight, AA 9231, on a 752 from SFO-JFK leaving at the exact same time (3 pm), which of course they never offered or even told her about.

So, I want to know, does this count as involuntary denied boarding? Or is changing flight numbers for what is effectively the same flight just a really skeezey way that AA got around IDBing people (and thus having to pay them the compensation they deserve)?

As an additional note, we got her on a United flight (after some amount difficulty, including AA spelling her name wrong when sending the ticket over) that at least got her to NY in time for work (though 6 hours later than she would have on AA 9231).

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Inconvenient, unpleasant = yes
    IDB = no

I'd write a clear, well articulated letter (not email or phone call) describing exactly what played out. No name calling, no panning the carrier as "skeezey" or the like. Explain how this was a significant inconvenience/late for work (if that's the case)/etc. Make a reasonable request for compensation. You'll get something.

Here's an example of a letter I used to get a night at the Four Seasons covered due to a weather cancellation: http://www.sitinfirst.com/2012/05/successful-complaint-letter-regarding-a-weather-delay/

Please let us know what plays out for you.

3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said, especially adding the example of a letter that worked.

bobsgt, NYBanker and wrxmom like this.
  4. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly - IDB is when your exact flight leaves without you in the instance of you having a confirmed res. Canceling a flight and substituting a smaller plane with you not making the cut is creative thinking on the part of the AA team, but again still a cancelation of your original flight.

bobsgt and jbcarioca like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Delta's CoC, it's not IDB if there is a downgauge of equipment for "operational or safety reasons" or even if you need to give up your seat for weight and balance on a 50-seater (actually 60 seats or less, I believe this is a DoT thing) again for operational or safety reasons)! Basically on a 50-seater it seems you are entitled to just about nothing.

I would imagine AA's is similar.

bobsgt and jbcarioca like this.