Does the public hate the airlines? Delta, United, US "most hated"

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by JSpira, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    The latest data from the American Consumer Satisfaction Index shows that consumers are highly dissatisfied with many airlines and Delta, United, and US Air were at the top (or bottom, depending on your point of view) of the list.

See

Consumer Satisfaction with Airlines in a Tail Spin – Delta, United, and US Airways “Most Hated”
    By Ben Rossi
    [​IMG]

2. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I didn't like flying as much as I do, I'd also hate legacy carriers. Just a few years ago we, the public, were getting meals, checked bags, drinks on international routes, phone reservations at a US-based call center, hotels and toiletry kits for any misconnects (even weather) - all for 'free' - and the flight attendants were polite and happy about their salaries, benefits and pensions. Oh, and the flights were rarely full, so we could always count on an empty seat next to us.

And what do we have now?

3. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fact that flights are rather full means that the airlines with full planes might actually make money on a route. In general, prices are lower than ever and that has translated into more items (food, checked baggage, etc.) being charged on an a la carte basis.

4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was being facetious, as you probably recognize, but the fact is, air travel used to be a much more enjoyable experience. It started off with a much less stressful security screening process - not exactly airlines' fault, but it winds up casual and experienced travelers alike, before they even have to deal with delays, misconnects, full flights, and surly flight attendants who are there primarily for our safety...not to make travel more enjoyable. Bag fees and reduced weight allowance add to pre-flight stress, too. It is difficult to pack large suitcases we bought 10 years ago (but are in great shape since they are only used once or twice a year when we go on a long vacation) without exceeding 50lbs. Things like that just keep piling up, and by the time we're being asked to pay $10 for a cold sandwich on board, and get a tiny cup filled with ice and just enough coke for two sips (and full cans only for those who ask), we're ready to strangle somebody. And, we don't give a ... whether airlines make money, at least until we get stranded away from home due to a bankruptcy, in which case we ask Congress to intervene, instead of offering to pay more.

I mean, many of us on this board don't have to deal with a lot of crap, since we know what to expect, sit upfront, go through priority security, and don't check bags, but people that board in Group 4...man, I totally understand why they rate airlines somewhere between IRS and used car dealers...and why they think those who go on mileage runs should be confined to mental institutions.