Does the President or his staff collect points when on the campaign trail?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by bthobe, Oct 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    With election season upon us, I started to wonder if the President and or his staff, aide's, security team etc... collect points when they are staying at major chain hotels when traveling? Recently President Obama was in Las Vegas staying at the Westin Lake Las Vegas and was wondering who collected all those points? :)

Moderator's please file this under the appropriate forum if need be.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question, I'm curious too. I wonder if the President's reservation will be under his actual name or an alias...

flyingdawg and General_Flyer like this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty hard to get points when you're on Air Force One and the Romney campaign uses charter planes (we saw one in ATL a few weeks ago.)

<lol>

DTWBOB

4. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, beat me to it. Even though he's campaigning the President still travels on AF1. The Vice President on AF2. Security is still security.

The "other" party will travel by charter plane, both for convenience, logistics and security measures.

Embedded media will fly with both.

LETTERBOY and General_Flyer like this.
  5. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should have Air Force Mileage program or Governmental Mileage Program instead...

*Can be used without blackout dates with most Air Force, Naval Aviation, and other non-commercial flights.
    **Carrier Surcharge may apply when starting or ending journey onboard a Aircraft Carriers underway at sea.
    ***Other Restrictions apply, please see general physical requirements.

;)

6. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotel wise though, I hope someone is collecting all those points as it would be sad to see all that go to waste.

7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, Federal employees now get to keep their points when they travel on commercial flights.... once upon a time they didn't.

DTWBOB

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are the hotels though... I saw an infographic from flipkey today that said the Romney campaign spent over $200k on Marriott hotels. That's a lot of points to give up :)

9. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't Hillary do something like 700k BIS miles in the first year in office? With premium tickets they could rack up miles for a lifetime in one four year period alone.

flyingdawg, bthobe and General_Flyer like this.
  10. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    technically those are taxpayers' points.. ;)

11. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's a step in the right direction.. :)

flyingdawg and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    So where can I file my claim to get some of those points owed to me as a tax payer? :)

13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure there's an enormous amount of airline travel engaged in by people working for the campaigns. Those campaigns are private endeavors, by the way, and the people who work for them are not public employees (that's a big no-no).

I'm sure that people who are flying and staying on the campaign's dime are collecting the miles and points due to them just like anyone else travelling on business. At least, I hope they are!

14. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I won't count on it.. :p

Ah yes, the frequent flyer in us just screams at missed opportunities like these! :D

flyingdawg and bthobe like this.
  15. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually some of the people involved *with* the campaign trip are govt. employees -- think Secret Service and others are too including the Pres. and VP.

DTWBOB

LETTERBOY and General_Flyer like this.
  16. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully some of the members of the secret service are putting their SPG/Marriott/Hilton etc.. numbers down for these stays as I am sure they could use a couple of free nights like the rest of us when they go on vacation

17. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think rates for the truly top brass are negotiated and may not include things like frequent stayer points. For that matter, the president might not even pay at all. I'd guess the lower support staff get them if staying on standard government rates.

18. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the announcement for OneWorld last week was going to be for Air Fore One joining the alliance...

19. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True; that changed over in the early 2000's, I believe. I guess the government finally decided it was illogical to deny their employees points and miles when they lacked an effective means to collect or use them themselves.

20. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say the president's crew doesn't get anythign as it is all probably negotiated with the hotel itself, rather then individual rooms. Like Secret Service rents out floors of the hotel, not just a suite.

flyingdawg and bthobe like this.
  21. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still... a meeting planner could reap big points booking this kind of stay. At the end of the day, I am sure all charges go to a master bill. However, said master bill could have someones frequent hotel account number on it. Man... talk about a wicked way to meet minimum spend on a credit card. :)

flyingdawg likes this.
  22. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually when you have a negotiated group rate the points are minimal to the organizers. I host an event every year that gives a local hotel 125+ room nights over 3 days and we get 10,000 points. Not enough to write home about.

flyingdawg likes this.
  23. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if RCs are an option for your event, but they look after planners reasonably well.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Rewards/Promotions/RewardingEvents.htm

It wouldn't surprise me if there were more Ritz Platinum meeting planners than there were Ritz Platinum regular-way guests!

flyingdawg likes this.
  24. Drobik

Drobik Gold Member

Status Points:
    bobsgt, MyTravels, Mikus33 and 3 others like this.
  25. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see at least some of the staff on Mitt's campaign are banking a ton of Marriott points. It would be awesome if they could use their Marriott Visa cards on top of all that to!

LETTERBOY and flyingdawg like this.