Does the new system always auto-split PNRs?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gobluetwo, Mar 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per this thread:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...tered-family-across-plane.31819/#post-1298796
    Is this now standard operating procedure to auto-split PNRs at T-24? If so, what is the rationale for it? Seems like it would cause a lot of confusion.

redwoman likes this.
  2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there is an elite on the reservation then at check-in the reservation will be split so that the elite has a shot at an upgrade. This is due to the old way the CO system worked where the reservation took the status of the lowest statused person on the PNR.

You used to be able to turn this off to keep the reservation from splitting.

I would bet that they are going to have to shore this up with the new functionality of being able to get a companion upgrade at the elite window.

redwoman, desamo and mht_flyer like this.
  3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same thing has been happening to my +1 and me, and we are both 1Ks. Interestingly, we haven't ended up sequentially in the wait list for upgrades [same fare bucket and checking in at the same time].

4. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not as much about the status of the lowest person as it is an issue of how SHARES handles the upgrades. SHARES always updates the PNR whenever something changes, which means that everybody on the PNR must be in the same booking class.

This is unlike UA's previous system, which allowed both to get on the upgrade list at checkin without a split, and even one could clear but not the other. The SHARES system cannot handle this.

redwoman and desamo like this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ohhhhhhhhh.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't this going to be a HUGE problem if a 1K has seated his family together in Y+? Does the system preserve the entitlement to Y+ seating and free bag checks when splitting the PNR? How does this work? Or is this why the OP lost all his seat assignments?

redwoman likes this.
  7. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seacarl, on flyertalk there are threads in which people have reported that E+ seats are lost if someone on a split-off reservation doesn't have status. Also lots of problems with people being charged bag fees when they're not supposed to be charged, and they're not even in situations where they've been split off. They're people with status.

I saw the flyertalk postings and tried to research what happens with split res on ua.com. I still wasn't clear as to what would happen if i were to travel with my non-status partner and we approached the T-24 window, even after reading the website. After seeing this thread as well as instances on flyertalk where people have reported this, I now know to put everybody on a separate reservation at the start. Or just buy the ^&*$ FC seats and be done with it. I realize that is not a solution for families, especially if young kids cannot have their own reservation and you're not in the 1%.

Counsellor likes this.