DOES Royal Orchid have a tier above *Gold?

Discussion in 'Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus' started by excelsior, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, like PPS or FB-Plat or HON circle?

2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was, about a year ago, a purported new tier above gold called platinum. This was subsequently, after announcement but before rollout, revoked and no word has come forth regarding if it will come to fruition or not.

3. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That sounds really disorganised!

4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you look at the TG forum in our parallel universe you'll see a fair bit more (specific) info on this here-to-fore calamity.

excelsior likes this.
  5. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it never comes to fruition.

6. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I woul d be interested to knwo why you feel this way The ROP programme does not do much for Golds does it? Especially the ones who fly largely business Class? ( I dont know, i am asking) Does one get upgraded on a complimentary basis from time to time? Any access to special lounges etc? So having a PPS type arrangement should attract customers to ROP. I would certainly move there and fly more THAI if they gave me access to the F lounge when flying J and one or two J to F upgrades a year

7. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    We get GUPs and the "birthday" gift. I get a very very rare op-up and on some routes I get someone coming around to inquire as to how I am and take my meal order during boarding to ensure that I get my choice. But I'd never make the Plat level and I feel that whatever I get now will be diminished.

8. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thaanks1 Whats a GUP? I know compup and opup [​IMG]

9. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gold upgrade. 1 free r/t upgrade during your gold membership period and a second if you hit 50k again during the period.

Use it on BKK-SIN or SYD-LHR. Up to you

10. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats pretty good you get the same on Lufthansa though

11. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but on LH you need 100K to qualify while on TG you only need 50K.

12. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right but LH is easy if you fly J as you get double points. Status valid over 2 years Not sure about Royal orchid

13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    For business TG earns 125%. Status also good for 2 years.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    No free roundtrip upgrade with Senator during the 2 year period: only 1way if Intercontinental. LH program has some benefits (I am a +10yr M&M member) however upgrades are not one of them.

excelsior likes this.
  15. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    True I was mixing up... Only a O/W upgrade. But for double miles as a business traveller and generous cabin bonuses its still better in terms of earn/burn IMO than ROP?

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never really looked at the ROP program for myself.

One of my colleagues who lives in BKK says it is great as he gets enough points for, in his words, "heaps of trips in business class to Krabi for free" on TG- which is quite important if you live in BKK, and also quite a few OP UPs from paid C>F on longhaul interconti. Birthday upgrades are a nice touch.

There is a level above ROP Gold- I have seen the "welcome to ROP (I think Diamond however I am not sure)" with the picture of a black card with a TG logo on it at the BKK TG F lounge as recently as last week.

17. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is active now: http://www.thaiairways.com/frequent-flyer/en/Platinum_Status.htm

One of the special rules is that all travel has to be in Business or First. On trip in Economy and you are disqualified.

18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    On TOBB there are TG Plats who have ridden in the back of the bus occasionally. I read the page you linked to, but the wording does not appear to be factual.

19. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is Thai`s own wording. There are also of course a whole other group which I assume now are TG Plats, and as we all know the rules do not apply to them.

20. BizflyerNorway

BizflyerNorway Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was departing BKK in July, and then I saw a couple of check-in booth's marked ROP Platinum. It was placed next to the biz check-in.

If the platinum level should be so valuable, why can't Platinum members check in at First Class check in?
    With Lufthansa you can check in at the First class check in when being Star Gold!

Just barely read about TG Platinum, but aside that it excist(ed??) I cant say I found out so much more about it.

What is negative for me with ROP is the lousy 125% miles for paid C, and only 150% for paid F. At LH its 200/300%. On the other side, easier to reach gold, but still expensive to take a trip on miles. I guess you have to live in Thailand, and fly weekly with TG to find ROP gold valuable or at least take most advantage out of it. I doubt TG is better then other airlines to recognize their own gold card holders?

21. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    TG Plat do however get access to the TG first class lounge in BKK, even if flying C.

I do agree with you though, if you don`t live in Thailand ROP makes little sense.