Does reserving thru cash back sites interfere with points/nughts accruals?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by jfhscott, Nov 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll start with what everyone knows - if you book a Marriott reservation thru Orbitz, Priceline, Experdia, etc., you get no points or night credit.

BUT,

What about cash back/miles sites like ebates, mypoints, Mr. Rebates, Virgin Atlantic flying club which direct you to marriott.com?

I do have my own datapoint here - a couple of years ago, a one night stay at a RI received no points, and an agent explained that booking through the Mr. Rebates portal killed the accruals. But I was wondering if anyone has more recent experiences.

Thank you

2. jblankoh

jblankoh Active Member

Status Points:
    You should earn points with Marriott if you book through a cashback/rebate site (assuming it clicks thru to Marriott's site and not an OTA). Their terms state:

Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, and Hotels.com, as well as operators of opaque booking channels such as Priceline and Hotwire are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. In cases where such third party online retailers offer for sale “retail” rates that require the guest to pay the hotel directly for the stay, provided the online retailer has remitted your Marriott Rewards information to the hotel, such stays are eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking source.

Enjoy your couple percent and your points.

druiddation and Counsellor like this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.
    Indeed, I looked at the language you provide when I had a disappointing result a couple of years ago. I had requalified for gold that year and I was dealing with a $79 rate at a RI, so I figured it was not worth fighing city hall. If it had interfered with requalification or otherwise caused me to miss out on a meaningful number of points, I'd be bummed.