Does or Doesn't US Airways have a 500-mile Minimum for UA Elites?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Jul 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just did a quick hop to DCA from LGA this week on US, the miles just posted, and it is a mixed bag.

On the outbound, I got:
    Award miles: 214
    Bonus miles: 500
    PQM: 500

On the inbound, I got:
    Award miles: 500
    Bonus miles: 500
    PQM: 500

This was on a government ticket issued in L class. Offered to pay $50 to upgrade to F on outbound, I accepted since that would be my only out-of-pocket money, the government having paid for the ticket, and I wanted to nap before my business in DCA.

I just checked the US webpage at UA.com and there is no mention of UA elites getting a 500-mile minimum on US. What is going here? I got 500 PQMs both ways so I am happy, but what is with the 214 RDM on the outbound? Why the inconsistency? Was I even supposed to get 500 PQMs?

2. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you got lucky. ;)
    But I wonder if your trips counted for MM status :D

3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think UA elites have gotten 500 mile minimums on US for years. US elites got 500 mile minimums on UA, but I believe that just changed this year, so now no one gets 500 mile minimums in either direction.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That seems to be my recollection.

...but, but I just did get 500 minimum PQMs for both directions and 500 RDM for one!

Checking the US Website on earning miles shows:
    • Dividend Miles members traveling on United Airlines will accrue based on the actual miles flown.
    and
    • Dividend Miles members traveling on US Airways will accrue based on the actual miles flown. Base members flying US Airways Shuttle will accrue the actual miles flown or 500 miles per segment, whichever is greater.
    • Preferred members traveling on US Airways will accrue the actual miles flown or 500 miles per segment, whichever is greater.
    Could it be that the rules a different for a US Shuttle, on which my trip happened to be (although I recall taking this shuttle before and earning actual miles flown).

Maybe I should stop looking a gift horse in the mouth:D

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about the 500 mile minimums but there is a glaring typo or bug on the earnings page for US Airways on United.com.

It clearly states: "...with 50% bonus MileagePlus Premier qualifying miles for paid first, business or full-fare economy tickets." (bolding mine).

However, under the earnings chart it shows Full-Fare Economy Y/B fares earning 100% PQM.

Someone has a legitimate argument with United if they only award 100% PQM on Y/B US fares. I have a feeling it should say 150% because the partnership seems pretty tight between US and UA. Someone I'm sure can confirm their earnings.

-RM

6. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    US awards 100% PQM for Y/B fares, evidently because they don't want to reward people for buying expensive tickets. UA used to give 150% EQM, whereas CO gave 100%. Post-merger UA mimics the US rules, so only 100% PQM.

As is typical, the website proofreaders at UA didn't do their jobs.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that post-merger, UA adopted the PMUA rule and is awarding 150% PQM for Y/B and 125% RDM.

desamo likes this.
  8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that you say this, I believe this may be it. I just looked at my US Airways account, and about three years ago, right before I first earned elite status with US (so at a time when I was not receiving 500 mile minimums), I had a couple Shuttle flights and received a full 500 miles.

9. shinbal

shinbal Member

Status Points:
    I believe that UA adopted the PMCO policy on US. Before, when flying as a 1K on US Airways, I earned actual flown RDM and EQM, with a 100% RDM bonus on actual flown. Since April, I have been getting 500-mile minimum on both RDM and EQM, with a 100% RDM bonus on actual flown. On the one Y and one B flights I've taken, I earned a 50% bonus on PQM and on PQS on each flight, with a bonus on RDM that I can't remember.

One thing I hated about flying US when using my Mileage Plus number was the 180 miles from DCA-LGA, etc, even though I got a 100% RDM bonus. When the ability to transfer points between UA/CO happened, I used my CO Platinum number for all my US flights, since CO offered the 500 Mile Minimum and 100% RDM bonus. Worked great. I had hoped they would keep the CO policy post merger. My experience is that they have, since I Now earn 1000 RDMs and 500PQMs for all my BWI-PHL and PHL-BOS segments.

10. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    deleted

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

Except for the fact that I got 218 miles (i.e. actual flown miles) on inbound for LGA-DCA, it would seem that US has, indeed, instituted a 500-minumum RDM/PQM for UA elites. However, I took the US LGA-DCA Shuttle for which there seems to be a different rule. The 500 minimum might be applicable only for the shuttle. We'll need more data points to be able to determine, therefore, it would be informative if folks can post their experience here...

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had similar weirdness with short US flights this year. For the most part, though, Shuttle flights have consistently posted as 500 miles.

It may have something to do with US's systems, not UA's, too. I don't know what level of detail US sends UA, and whether or not UA just posts what US transmits to them or if UA does further processing on it.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The weirdness continues! I made a quick hop to DCA from LGA early this week and, unlike the last trip (first post of the thread) from which I got 500 PQMs each way but 500 and 214 elite bonus RDMs, this time I was awarded 214 PQMs and RDMs each way, meaning I got the actual miles flown:confused:. It was the US shuttle service, so the theory that my getting 500 PQMs each way might have had something to do with this service seems incorrect. Before I call UA CS, I wanted to know if anyone has gotten 500 PQM on this route lately. If not, then I won't bother, and decide that US awards actual flown miles and the 500 elite minimum.

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew LGA to IAD on UA Express this month. Got an upgrade, 500 PQMs, 500 RDMs + 375 Elite bonus RDMs. Similarly, I twice flew US LAX-PHX last year and got upgraded, 500 PQMs, 500 RDMs + 375 Elite bonus RDMs both times. Those were sweet deals. I was continuing on to SJO. The first fare was $165 + tax. The second was $155 + tax. I have seen nothing similar since.