Does online check in ever work internationally?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, May 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full disclosure : I am both a PMUA flyer and a PMCO flyer, though I swiched business to CO when UA abandoned its NYC operation.

This would work on UA but not on CO.

That said, one feature I hope would work is check in Internationally. Does this work for anyone?

[​IMG][/IMG]

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frequently for me it does, but there are some variables in play.

• If there is a need to check for a visa it doesn't work.
    • If you haven't swiped your passport in the kiosk it doesn't work.
    I know those two issues will break it. I'm sure there are others.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:

Also...

• If you haven't flown internationally on sCO (and now UA) in the past 6 months it won't allow you to check in fully because your Passport Data has not been verified in a Kiosk or by the agents.

4. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish we could get an official answer from UA Insider. I have 2 passports. That may be it.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew internationally on UA in March (post 3/3) and had to present my passport at checkin (got the same "this is not a boarding pass" dummy page) back then.

Last night I checked in for another international flight and united.com prompted me for my passport information. And of course I got that same page again and have to see an agent tonight. So it seems to me something isn't working right.

On the bright side, it did clear our CPUs right then despite not issuing a boarding pass.

Edit: no need to check for a Visa... it's a flight to Canada.

IDGflygirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the same passports. Passports = Plural.

For counties that require visas, I have multiple entry visas valid for 1 year or more (i.e China, Russia and India). Its the same visa number, the same passport.

I understand the need to check them initially, but every time?

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they don't keep a record of all your visas, so the check is necessary. What's the big deal? You are checked in, you get your upgrade priority, you just need to make a 2 minute detour to get a BP at the airport. :confused:

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had 50/50 luck in terms of being able to get check in online for Int'l segments

9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as passports are conerned I strictly use my US passport for all flights on UA or partners as not to confuse the airline or the TSA. Still have a problem with check- in in some countries. I use my other passport for entry into most countries unless it is a benefit to use my US. Since my US passport is valid for 10 years, I don't want to fill it up and then have to pay to have pages added. My other passport is valid for 5 years so try and fill it up first.

10. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the purposes of making my life easier, I usually leave with my non US passport, but come back, obviously, using the US one.

My non US passport has the visas for all the good countries of the world to do business. Brazil (no visa required for me), China, India and Russia (all long term, multiple entry)

My point is: Its all the same travel documents, the same visas, the visas do not change every trip. My Russia visa is good till May 2013! . So why can't UA "remember" the travel documents, and flag me for a manual document check when the documents expiere?

I guess they are not set up to do that. But it sounds like something that could be worked on. Shares IT wise, at least.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's probably it; the current system only stores one (per information I've read elsewhere).

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, it seems in my case it didn't even store that one passport.

13. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    It stores 2 actually. And Drivers License as well.

Historically PMCO has been Nazi's about policing visa's at the airport gate, essentially doing 2 annoying checks.

Once : at the check in (Verifying passports ans visas if needed). This is reasonable and expected.

Second time : They do the same redundant check at the gate. Going to places like Brazil, they flip my passport and I'll tell them "Visa not required". The same agent then goes to the computer (essentially repeating the task that was done by the agent that checked me in, holding me hostage at the gate). Then stares at me in disbelief, "You're ok".

Its a redundant step. Would Brazil all of a sudden change their visa requirements for passport holders of my birth country (not US) between check in time and boarding?. This seems crazy.

The old UA would only check it once at check in. American (bless their heart) would print the words, "DOCS OK" on the boarding pass. The documents are checked only once, at check in, which to me is appropriate. LH/LX/SQ does the same thing. One check thats it.

I think the annoying double checks went away. I've complained numerous times. Its stupid.

I just think a Global Airline should be able to handle a global traveller. LOL

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It won't until an agent blesses it, apparently.

15. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. And then if you're like me, it won't work after that, the agent has to manually check you in EVERY SINGLE TIME

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should note that LX will issue me a boarding pass going to the US with my two passport system on-line.
    I guess the swiss are used to being Neutral. :p

17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're just special. :)

18. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this mean that the return leg of the trip should be okay for OLCI?

19. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the this your boarding pass but it isn't really your boarding pass recently even though my passport had been scanned post 3/3. And I was not put on the upgrade list until I got to the airport and got a real boarding pass.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, I had my passport inspected by an agent in March (after 3/3).

I am special, too, then.

And actually, it got "worse". Not only did I have to show my passport to the ticket agent tonight to get the BP, but then the GA did a document check and asked everyone in the gate area to line up at podium to show their passports so he could type who-knows what into the computer and then scribble " Doc Ok" onto the BP. Not sure what that was about...

meFIRST likes this.
  21. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    No

22. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Again. I understand the need to check documents at check in. But to go through the same process again at the gate?
    They told me that its to avoid fines in case the pax arrives with no visa at the destination. Would the pax's visa dissapear between check in and boarding? :eek:

The pax could also lose his/her passport on the plane. I think the second step is idiotic, because no one else does it.
    Really. Someone at the old continental must have thought this was a good idea.

globalexplorer likes this.
  23. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pity. They (as is new United) could, yes?

The big deal is that check in and boarding takes longer. I like to keep that process down to a minimum, instead of a formal affair.

24. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh really? You get on the upgrade stand by list? Absolutely not. Just try and go to the mobile website after receiving the boarding pass above. You don't show up on the stand by list. I called and the agent said I was not checked in. They tried to manually do it, but the system wouldn't let any UA agent check me in. I got 6 boarding passes like the one posted above, but was not checked in after 6 attempts by various agents and supervisors. As the upgrade was too close to call for a 15 hour flight, I ended up driving to the airport to take care of it wasting an hour of my life. Then, finally I was on the list and cleared by a very close margin at the gate.

It has happened to me every single time since 3/3, maybe because I'm a green card holder, but again it should be possible to store the information once and get it over with.

So beware. If you're getting this boarding pass you are NOT on the southwest style check in at 24 hour upgrade list. You will loose your place in line if there are other people with your status and same booking class and there's a battlefield upgrade situation

25. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. This was the most ridiculous thing i saw at PMCO. Sad to see it continues with the new united:(