Does MP have moderators now?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by MSPeconomist, Jan 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today I noticed five threads on MP where the OP (all by the same new member daavid950, the five threads that he started yesterday between the time he joined MP and his last activity yesterday at 4:25 pm Central time) with aa line at the lower right corner that I've never seen on MP:

Last edited by a moderator yesterday X:YZ pm

where X:YZ was 5:33, 5:34, 5:35, 5:36, and 5:38.

At first I thought that this was something in the new member OP's signature line, but someone else on MP posted that i was visible even with signatures turned off.

So, does MP have moderators or not? If so, who are they and what powers do they have? I'm asking because I know that a number of people here on MP feel strongly about the abuse of power by moderators on other websites.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether or not there are "moderators" as per se someone has to take care of the rash of spam that pops up on these board with an all too frequently regularity.
    Not sure if you saw the posts by daavid950 but they where offering among other things fake passports, identity cards and drivers licenses for multiple countries all highly illegal and perhaps was from the same source that previously offered fake credit cards and even pin and CCID numbers.:rolleyes:

There is quite a difference between moderating the posts of legitimate members and getting rid of posts made by low-life criminal elements ( would MP not be criminally liable if such posts where not expunged??)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As has always been the case, Guides can edit posts. It's now set that when a Guide edits a post, it states "edited by moderator", however that is just a use of a word. Guides can not delete posts or ban users, only admins and members of a small tight anti-spam team can do that. As a result, guides will delete or hide the illegal spam content until such time as the admins can properly deal with the spammer.

Note that when a guide edits a post, the admins can see the entire edit history, so there is control and oversight.

newbluesea likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points: