Does LAX Hold the Key to American Airlines' Future in Asia?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, Oct 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thestreet.com/story/1206...-key-to-american-airlines-future-in-asia.html

Merger or no merger, American (AAMRQ) needs to get stronger in Asia and Los Angeles International Airport may offer its best hope to do that.

But LAX, despite holding vast advantages as an Asian gateway, is a tough place to bulk up because it is both intensely competitive and geographically impaired.

Delta (DAL_) and United (UAL_), American's primary competitors, benefit not only from the post-World War II treaties that offered predecessors Northwest and Pan Am access to Asia, but also from strong positions at the other key West Coast airports -- San Francisco International and Seattle Tacoma International.

San Francisco is so strong a hub that United plans to try a new airplane, the Boeing (BA_) 787 Dreamliner, to fly to Chengdu, China, which has never before had non-stop service from the U.S.

Delta, meanwhile, is growing rapidly in Seattle, the closest major U.S. mainland airport to many Asia destinations. Delta said last week it will add 11 new domestic flights from West Coast cities (including Los Angeles) to Seattle in order to feed its six daily non-stops to Asia.

Read More: http://www.thestreet.com/story/1206...-key-to-american-airlines-future-in-asia.html

FriendlySkies, edekba and uggboy like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how that's gonna happen

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am really hoping for a flight to HKG.. doesn't need to be LAX.. any AA service would be good.

Tenmoc and Sean Colahan like this.
  4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    PHX-HKG:p

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hopefully I won't sound too ignorant when I ask why LAX is unprofitable for AA now?

6. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please go on. LAX is unprofitable for AA?