Does hotel have any liability.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Steven Schwartz, Oct 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will be in Provence at the end of May as part of a trip that will include Cannes, Paris and Berlin. I had a reservation at a boutique hotel until I saw that a new Renaissance hotel was due to open in December. Looked great and I could stay on points - GREAT! We made a reservation and cancelled the boutique hotel. The rate as that hotel has increased substantially - 5 nights will now be $2500 rather than the $1700 when we reserved.

I now see that they have moved the opening back to April. We are not due to check in until May 31st so I'm not yet freaking out but I do wonder if Marriott has any liability if we simply wait and move forward, only to discover in May that they won't be opening in time for our reservation.

Every other part of the trip is nailed down. Any thoughts about what we should do? As always, thanks for any feedback.

Steve

Kalboz and tondoleo like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how they could keep $ or hold points for a reservation they were unable to fulfill.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but the question is whether they'll rebook him at their expense or just refund the money and say he's on his own to find alternate accommodations.

Kalboz, uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  4. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Contact Marriott via email and get in writing what their plan is for you in the event they cannot fulfill your rez at the end of May. If the response gives you pause make a rez somewhere else. Or take the risk and live the adventure. Have a great trip

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh. I wouldn't want to venture a guess. Tondoleo's advice is good.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you might need it, never cancel a hotel reservation earlier than the fee-free cancellation deadline. Until then it's an option on a room, and you may decide you want it.

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lesson learned. I thought the December opening, which was six months ahead of my arrival, was plenty but as I said, lesson learned.

Interestingly, and annoyingly, Marriott does not have a customer service email address. Did a bunch of Googling and the answer was not that I couldn't find it but rather that they don't use it. I guess I could call but hard to document that call in case of trouble.

Mapsmith and Kalboz like this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've learned that lesson the hard way, not just with hotels but also with Alaska Airlines which allows free changes for Golds.

Trips that get cancelled can sometimes miraculously get restored.... but it inventory got tighter, the price went up. So I've found it useful to keep reservations I don't think I'll be using until closer to the cancel deadline - just make sure you make a calendar entry to remembet to cancel in time

Mapsmith likes this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And just as an aside, often the opening occurs after the actual opening. That is they will have a "soft opening" 2-3 weeks before the grand opening just to get the wrinkles out of the new place. Ya know, like not having the breakfast open, the pool not filled, the exercise room not having the equipment. All merchants want to get money coming in as soon as possible.

10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great point. Now I'm curious. If they gave a discount, would any of you deliberately go during that time? You, know, if you knew the basics and necessities were up and running, but a few amenities weren't fully functional yet?

Mapsmith likes this.
  11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well I would. Would be saving a few grand, like the location and would hope it being relatively new and empty, there would somehow be a suite in my future - following a loaded handshake, of course!

Mapsmith likes this.
  12. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good news! The opening date on the Marriott website is no longer April, 2014 but rather January! That is some very much appreciated breathing room. Here's hoping.

13. Reddishbead

Reddishbead Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, it was only an early April Fools' Day! ;)

14. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is the year still specified? :p

GenevaFlyer