Does GM response or lack thereof predict service?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by estnet, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I emailed 2 GM at different properties from the link on the hotel website asking about platinum amenities.

One responded quickly having forwarded to correct dept. and said should br followed up in a few days never got a resonse so after a week emailed back saying that I had not been contacted and was a bit disappointed. Return email said there was an error because person who should have responded initially was on vacation. Got the answer the next day.

Second property never bothered to respond at all.

Guess which one has better reviews for their hotel (spg and tripadvisor)?

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pick up the phone and call.

estnet and KENNECTED like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally while it might be nice if the GM responds I would expect that they would be and should more occupied in often quite complex operational side of the hotel plant (assuming its has more than a dozen rooms).
    Prediction of service?? thats a bit of a stretch Is your upcoming flight/service on say AA going to be impacted if you send an e-mail to the GM about your miles or a possible upgrade?

I would be suprised if most GMs are aware of the nuances or get involved with the benefits associated with a loyalty program ..thats something that is appropriately handled quite a bit down the command chain by the guest relatiions manager.

I am always amused by people who think its quite OK to e-mail the GM asking them what his hotel is going to do about their up coming birthday or annniversary... one could easily play devils advocate here and arrive at the conclusion that a very responsive GM might very well be neglecting his more important duties.

cennas, HaveMilesWillTravel and MX like this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I wanted the response in writing - so there would be a record ;)

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't CHOOSE to email the GM - that was the link provided on spg.com under contact us for these hotels (and I was quite surprised it was the GM's address). I assumed it would be filtered by a secretary.
    Since the question was a specific one - would a platinum ug be to a junior suite and/or a regular one (of course assuming availability) it didn't seem unreasonable to ask and expect an answer - nor did I have any other address than the one provided on the "contact us" link!

6. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think it's probably pretty indicative of the level of organization or disorganization at the hotel(s). I also agree that the email boxes are probably monitored by others at the hotel and should have been sent to the appropriate person for reply.

I would not expect a response from the GM, but would expect a response of some type. However, I don't think there's anything that getting a response in email would help you with. Platinum benefits are platinum benefits. If the hotel doesn't honor them when you're there, then you can complain, but getting an email from the hotel in advance won't really do much for you since it's all based on availability and there are no guarantees on upgrades.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it is known that some hotels "interpret" the ug rules differently - eg a Junior suite is the ony "standard suite", while others include all suites. I had a specific reason to want to know this time - whether I should bother using a guaranteed suite ug. If ug were only to junior suite it wasn't enough to make me want to use a guarantee, but if it was to a regular one then it was worth the chance to me.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you request the Suite Night Award (assuming that this is what you mean by guaranteed suite upgrade), you can see the suite types being offered as possibilities and request one or more of them. If you plan to upgrade with points, IIRC you must call SPG; surely a Plat Concierge can call the hotel if necessary and document the answer.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know that and that is not what happened when I did the suite night award request - also since I was not in the country I thought an email would be easiest.