Does France deserve its reputation for rudeness?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by uggboy, Aug 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Does France deserve its reputation for rudeness? ||

We've thought hard about this one, could not find particular rudeness among the French so far during our travels in France.:)

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience it was always the Parisians who were rude, never had an issue elsewhere.

As the years go on, I think the new generation of Parisians is much more tolerant of me being a tourist and my so-so French language skills.

jbcarioca, JosephMay and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe this too, as time goes on and a new generation takes over, we will see a dramatic uptake on recognizing that good manners are important, not only for the image of France, but also for the economy as a whole, as the country still remains the most visited in the world.

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never really had a problem.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good to know.:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had rudeness in any meaningful way in Paris. Once in a while some little things happen which could fall into this category...to me, that is part of the charm of a visit.

I've been back half a dozen times....so it is clearly not weighing on me. In February, we took our kids to Paris for the first time. It went swimmingly, and they kids were warmly greeted at multi-starred Michelin restaurants.

http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/a-family-adventure-in-paris-part-4-our-approach-to-paris-with-kids.html
    http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/a-family-adventure-in-paris-part-5-dining.html

7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am fluent in French.....in fact is is my mother tongue... and I have travelled the country extensively.

The only rudeness encountered in France was in Paris....and it was an exception.

A counter question.....Does NYC deserve its reputation for rudeness? ;)

8. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

Better counter question...Does Boston deserve its reputation for rudeness? (Don't worry, I"m not an NYC apologist)

9. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Short answer - "no" in my opinion. You'll encounter rude people, or rude incidents, anywhere of course. While there have been a few exceptions, I'd say Parisians have normally been quite polite as a whole, with the rude encounters predominantly being other tourists! On our last trip the worst incidents were from a group of "fellow Americans" (high school class on a trip) and a Russian group that kept cutting into lines.

I often hear people complain about the waiters in Paris, but I rather like the cold efficiency of a good bistro or brasserie waiter. I think some Americans at least see that as rude but we're used to dealing with the whole fake-nice bubbly 18 year old girl at Chili's who wants to chat and be BFFs with every table. :rolleyes:

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the reputation is a bit undeserved, and I think PanAm has a decent idea re: waitstaff perception.

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely not ( I encounter far, far more rude Americans in France than locals)

I can think of two ocasions in Bordeaux alone, where strangers were so helpful to us travelling late at night.. which I never experienced in this country.... more to the point with the current enviorment here lately they most likley would have had called the police on us.

12. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYC = Yes

jbcarioca, Jenny & Curt and uggboy like this.
  13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time I encountered rudeness during the few months I lived in Paris were from other non-Parisians.

I speak French (err, spoke it when I was there). All I got from Parisians were complements on my language skills, and they weren't mad at speaking in English for things I didn't understand in French.

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. ecleppe

ecleppe Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's my main reason not to go there. And note that I do speak french...

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, in my experience very warm and friendly ppl. I do notice that they respond to rudeness with rudeness however, but we've always been treated fine while visiting. (Even when they find out we're from Texas, which has resulted in some funny conversations)

16. ecleppe

ecleppe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only been there twice and the only friendly guy I've met was a chinese waiter in one of the restaurants.
    The people @ Renaissance Paris Arc De Triomphe were the worst..

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not doubting your experience, just relaying mine. I've always found the French ppl to be, if not overly friendly, pleasant to deal with. YMMV obviously and everyone has their own radars on issues such as these.

18. ecleppe

ecleppe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree! ;-)

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Paris twice over the years, not traveled France outside of Paris. I did not notice
    rudeness to a greater extent than other cities I've visited. I know very few French words, but
    I still tried, and I would like to believe that made a difference.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, that makes a big difference. Perhaps the people with terrible experiences in France only speak two languages, English and Loud English.

jbcarioca, Sedosi, ella and 2 others like this.
  21. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You of course are entitled to your opinion ...but I find this pretty hard to believe. :rolleyes:

22. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never had a problem with rudeness in France. People were pleasant and helpful. In some cases I think the appropriate question might be -- what kind of attitude did you display to receive such rudeness ? ;)

23. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could add "Loud English with whatever accent" to that list.

My dad doesn't travel much, but when we went to Mexico with him he tried adding "o" to the end of every word. I'm not sure who laughed harder, us or the Mexicans.

24. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never found people in France to be any more rude than anywhere else honestly. Most people are friendly enough...we always try to muddle through in the home language wherever we are, and I think that helps. Some people are just rude, but that has nothing to do with nationality. Honestly...surprisingly I found people in Brussels to be the most rude...not in a dialogue sense, but I watched them shove people down into seats as they boarded trains, push each other aside, etc. Very odd.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have encountered rudeness rarely anywhere. Certainly never in Paris. In fact the only rudeness I recall in recent years was in Miami where the odd waitperson displayed offense when Mrs jbc and I used English rather than Spanish with a Cuban-heritage shop staffer. That is it, no problems elsewhere, and rarely even in Miami.

uggboy likes this.