Does flightfox.com beat any travel website?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Sporty-, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sporty-

Sporty- New Member

Status Points:
    I was told flightfox.com gives you the lowest prices on airplane tickets. Even offering tickets 50% cheapper than what you.would normaly pay ..is it true?

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    It's a cool new model that uses crowdsourcing to find deals. Even on Milepoint there are a number of members who are pretty good at mileage run info and using ITA to ferret out the really good airfares and connections, let alone the info about how to find award seats when it does not appear there are any good cheap seats left. From what I know, there are about 500+ "experts" on FlightFox who might take a stab at earning a "commission" on finding you something you can't find on your own. I'd use it as an addition to any other methods you currently use to find deals. Crowdsourcing is currently very popular for any number of things and finding awards, finding mileage run deals seems like a next target for this since i know a lot of really smart flyers who like challenges and like to earn a little folding money....

3. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flightfox is great but it has its drawbacks. Ive used it as both a "flight requester" and as "an expert"

The downside is that you get a lot of the same flights submitted to you with very little deviation in the price. I recently put in a request from LAX-SGN and the top 4 flights were all on the same carrier, same route, etc.. at were priced at 985, 983, 987, 982. Its a little frustrating to sort through but when the prices are so different its easy.

As an "expert" you are not always guaranteed to get money even if you "win" the submission. Its up to the the original flight submiter to decide if your flight was beneficial and even if it is, you arent guaranteed.

I used it last month for a rather complicated MR request and the guy who worked the flight for me did a great job. I could have done it myself but I didnt want to spend the time and the $29 I gave him to do the work for me was well worth it.

I recommend giving it a test run but only on a complicated route. If you want a cheap deal on a domestic flight I wouldnt bother but if you want something crazy like LAX to LHR connection in HEL on OneWorld carriers with a 12 hour stopover in HEL taking advantage of the AA ORD-HEL roundtrip bonus mile offer... then yes, its great.

Sweet Willie, Mikus33 and Gargoyle like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would it be benificial to try this for a paid fare to match times for a reward flight?

AKA im on a award flight, one friend buying a paid ticket & want to arrive around the same time and etc

5. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    sure. give it a try. make sure you put in your exact travel details. Also, it helps if you do a search of your own and find a standard fair for them to "beat". They helps the experts gauge what price range youre in and if its worth to even try. Saying you want a RT from JFK to HKG for 700 isnt going to get many views but if you put $1000 you might spark some interest.

here is my referral code for a 25% off credit on your first contest if you are interested: 25% off Promo

6. SaraTravels

SaraTravels New Member

Status Points:
    Check out more modern service Flystein.com - they have experts who help each other