Does CX release F award seats close to departure?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Quasiconvexity, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have 2 award seats in J booked using BA miles on CX ORD-HKG in December just before Christmas. I would like to ideally fly in F (we have enough Avios in our account) inspite of the change fee that would be incurred - we booked this ticket before the Avios change so would be paying the original F rate (I think).

In any case, does anyone have any insights to share as to the likelihood of CX opening up F seats for award booking closer to departure? It currently looks like the J cabin is wide open but the F cabin only has 2 seats available.

We at least have seats in the mini-cabin (of the 77D), so wont be terribly disappointed if F doesnt come through - but having it come through would be really sweet!

Thanks!

SC Flier, traveler and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    When they decide to open more award seats, yes they tend to open up as you approach closer to the departure date. Getting an award seat (regardless of class) can be quite challenging during the Xmas period on the other hand, though people have had success in securing them during this peak period. You just have to continue to check back regularly and hope something pops out. When you said only two F seats left, do you mean you saw "F2 A0 or "F1 A1" through the availability tools? If so, then the chances F awards being released on your date may not be very high.

Do be aware than even though currently you are scheduled on an aircraft (77D) that has the new J Cirrus seats, there is no guarantee that configuration will be flying on your date as CX is notorious for last minute aircraft swapping where you may get the 77A configuration with those herringbone seats instead. But if the mini-cabin is all you are looking forward to, then it doesn't matter.

jbcarioca and Quasiconvexity like this.
  3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response - I will continue checking on KVS regularly. It currently shows "F2A2" so I am somewhat optimistic, although there is no guarantee. Looks like there is still a fair amount of J award availability around Christmas...but the F seats are hard to get! I have my fingers crossed that CX still uses the 77D on our day of travel!

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of years ago we were able to nab a couple of FC seats on CX from SFO-HKG for the christmas period. They opened up a week out and we were lucky enough to be flexible to be able to grab them.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck! It's a great award seat if it opens up.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CX opened up 2 F seats 5 days before departure, and I got up early to call BA and nab them. Had been monitoring availability (multiple times) daily using KVS Tool. The first rep I got on the phone said she could only see one available seat so I politely hung up and tried again - second time was the charm. Only ended up costing 20K extra Avios per person (plus the change fee, of course). Promises to be a fun trip with outbound on CX F and return on a combination of LX/LH F.

7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heck yes, they open up close to departure. :D I had been watching for 2 F SFO-HKG over Xmas for my husband and I. About a week ago, they finally opened up. Nabbed them. Since then, we've shifted our outbound dates -- twice -- no problem. In this specific case, Asia Miles availability matched AA availability exactly, though I understand that's not quite usual. It seems Asia Miles isn't necessarily a good indicator far out, but close in, it's been spot on for me.

Now, the problem is sweet talking my husband into a weekend jaunt to Hong Kong...getting home a mere 2 days before we depart for Paris. Sigh.

8. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed! ORD-HKG has lots of availability for this week close-in. Should be a fun trip!