Does Continental offer F buy-ups at check-in?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Eric, Aug 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    My company books all of our travel and 98% of the time that means Delta, which I have status with. However, it appears that both of my next two trips will be on Continental because their tickets are about 40% cheaper than Delta on the same flights. I have zero status but would like to pay out of my pocket(company will not book F) during check-in. Is that possible flying out of PBI? Thanks for the help.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes it happens. I've actually seen it happen more often on UA, but whatevs. You could try using your confirmation number to look up the details online and upgrade yourself in advance, which CO makes really easy. It will cost more, but you'll know for sure.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two different ways to move up to F on CO:

The first is a "fare-up" whereby the change fee is waived for customers willing to pay more to get into a fare bucket that books into the forward cabin. The price of said upgrade is based on the fare difference in the published fares and on what inventory is available (i.e. if Z is available and you booked in W the fee is Z-W; if Z isn't available it might be J-W; if you are an elite it might be B-W or M-W, depending on status and inventory). These can be purchased at any time prior to departure by reviewing your reservation and assigning yourself a seat in the forward cabin. That will take you to the page where you are informed of the charges for the upgrade.

The second is the "buy-up" that happens inside the OLCI period. When this was originally implemented it was based on a couple different policies. For non-elites it was supposed to be a fixed price based on segment duration/distance. So EWR-PDX would cost more than EWR-CLE. It was also only supposed to be available if all elites would be upgraded via EUA and there were still seats left over. There have been a number of recent reports suggesting that these Buy-Up offers are happening even if elites are not all upgraded.

4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will sometimes hear it referred to as the "tens of dollars" buy-up or something along those lines on various message boards. It has happened to me a few times. The discounted F rate is usually available beginning at 24 hours before departure (check-in time). On domestic flights, I have had it be anywhere from about $49 - $99 on the routes I have been on. I think it is supposed to happen only if there are F seats left after all elite flyers and those who are using miles to upgrade have been processed. Anecedotally, it has occasionally happened in additional situations, ahead of elite flyers.

As Scottrick mentioned, you can alway check online to see what the going price is now to "buy-up". Unless you are already on a high fare class ticket, it will likely be much more expensive than the same-day "10's of dollars" buy-up that some of us have been lucky enough to purchase. :) Good luck!

5. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha ha, I love how we ended up saying more or less the same thing, only you used all the official terms and acronyms! I guess I speak "mommy" better than "airline". Great info, though! :)

6. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Basically, if any open seats are left at check-in time, CO will run a liquidation sale for the remaining seats in F (to the consternation of elites who are still waitlisted for EUA). The operative word here, of course, if "if."

7. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the help. I never even thought about taking my confirmation number through work and just entering it into Continental's website. I will check and see what it wants as the buy-up. Anyone care to offer advice on what a realistic price should be upgrading to F from PBI-IAH and then IAH-PBI?

As someone who has only flown Delta F, I don't really know what value I should assign trying to buy my own upgrade. I know it is subjective to me and my wallet but with never stepping foot on a Continental plane it is hard for me to approximate the value? As heavy Continental/United flyers, what would you pay(ignoring the fact that you have status and wouldn't have to pay obviously)?

8. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At 2-2.5 hours, the value I'd give F on this route would be pretty low. Assuming a hot meal, free TV, a drink or two and the larger seat, I wouldn't pay more than $99-$129 which is likely far below the fare buy-up cost.

Most domestic F products are close enough these days that you could probably just assign the same value you'd assign to a DL F experience on a 2-2.5 hour flight.

9. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for all the help!

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you're just flying the non-stop and not connecting onward you should be able to figure it out based on how much you originally paid and the lowest fare in the F cabin. Here's the full list of published fares on the route:
    Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
    Code:
    Flexible Fare Search -- IAH-PBI roundtrp for date range Aug-Feb on carrier CO -- Continental Airlines
    Carrier|From |To   |FareBasis |Fare      |Min   |Max       |Adv. Purch|Earliest  |Latest    |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |HAP14KS   |USD$ 358  |      |          |14days    |23aug11   |14dec11   |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |HA14KN    |USD$ 401  |      |          |14days    |22aug11   |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |HA14KN    |USD$ 421  |      |          |14days    |          |21aug11   |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |UA14KN    |USD$ 446  |      |          |14days    |22aug11   |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |UA14KN    |USD$ 464  |      |          |14days    |          |21aug11   |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |EA7KN     |USD$ 495  |      |          |7days     |22aug11   |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |EA7KN     |USD$ 515  |      |          |7days     |          |21aug11   |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |MA7KN     |USD$ 666  |      |          |7days     |22aug11   |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |MA7KN     |USD$ 684  |      |          |7days     |          |21aug11   |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |BA0FY     |USD$ 1006 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |BUA       |USD$ 1087 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |

CO     |IAH  |PBI  |HUAUP1    |USD$ 1164 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |

CO     |IAH  |PBI  |D1        |USD$ 1337 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |YUA       |USD$ 1651 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |FUA       |USD$ 1987 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |Y         |USD$ 2413 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
    CO     |IAH  |PBI  |F         |USD$ 3601 |      |          |seerules  |          |          |