Does CO/UA upgrade awards..what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PAinNY, Aug 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question: Does CO/UA ever allow these upgrade awards? When I search on AA it always shows how much it will cost to upgrade an award. CO allows shows upgrade not available on this date.
    I go to advanced search, put in unrestricted fare and it still happens.

Do these awards exist? I would like to buy an economy ticket to Europe and upgrade with miles...is this ever possible?

Thanks
    Pat

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they do. On CO you need to have R inventory available. On UA it in NC. On CO.com there is an option in the advanced search interface to tick a box and it will tell you if upgrade inventory is available on the flight or you can click on the "Fare Class" link on a regular search and it will tell you all the inventory buckets or you can add my GreaseMonkey script and it will highlight the award inventory that is available.

As for what you are doing wrong, most likely nothing. UA/CO have been limiting the number of upgrade seats they're willing to part with in advance on the higher yield routes lately. They're trying to protect their revenue. If you cannot find seats available at the time of booking you can waitlist for the upgrade but that incurs the risk of possibly not getting it.

Also worth noting is that, with the co-pay and miles involved, upgrade awards are often a pretty crappy deal. You're looking at 20k points and up to $550 in co-pay fees each way between the US and Europe. That's on top of the economy fare. If you can get a Z fare to Europe that is often a better value.

Counsellor, RichardInSF and PAinNY like this.
  3. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great info, thanks so much. I think I will try the Greasemonkey script and see what happens. Possibly I am also looking too far out. Appreciate the help
    Pat

4. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, UACO has been severely limiting confirmable business upgrade awards on ALL international routes, not just "high-yield" ones. This is my single biggest complaint about UACO. If you want to go from Chicago to Frankfurt in the middle of January, however, a few awards are available. In April through October, forget it.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My comment was that the international routes are generally the high yield ones, particularly in C, versus domestic flights, not that only some were.

RichardInSF likes this.
  6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, thanks for clarifying.

PAinNY likes this.