Does Chase Sapphire Preferred Earn Double Points on Hostels?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by HoKo, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the midst of planning a multi-month backpacking trip through Asia and Europe. For the most part I expect to be staying in hostels, I was wondering if anyone had experience with using this card to pay for hostels on hostelworld.com, hostels.com or at individual hostels in foreign countries? Did you earn double points for hostel transactions?

Also, what have people's experiences been paying for meals at restaurants in foreign countries, do you normally receive the double points as one would expect?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a very general observation, less expensive restaurants in foreign countries are less likely to accept credit cards than we expect in the USA. You should be prepared to sometimes pay with cash. Similarly, you should check in advance that your hostels will accept your credit card.

Would it be advantageous to get an IYH or whatever hostel card before your trip?

3. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup agreed, I'm expecting to be paying cash for the most part in SE Asia but I figure I should be able to pay with a CC a good amount of the time when in East Asia and Europe.

For hostels I will mostly be making reservations on hostelworld.com so I'm just hoping someone on MP has used Sapphire Preferred on Hostelworld (or a similar website) and can comment on whether or not they received double points.

I have a YHA card from previous trips but will need to check and see if it's still valid.

4. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used hostels.com before for trips to Barcelona, Iceland, Stockholm and Argentina. In all instances I had to pay in cash on arrival. All the initial online booking was paid with CC. That is the nature of hostels but that doesn't mean it is the same everywhere.

Did you try sending them an email about it? If they are a hostel worth their mettle they should respond within a week.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    One week?

deant and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only if they were trained by an airline customer service department.

deant and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    TheTravelAbstract makes a point worth considering. Most times I can recall using hostelbookers.com (as they advertise themselves, cheaper than hostelworld.com!), only the initial 10% deposit was charged to a credit card and the hostels later - especially so in S. America and Europe - preferred payment using cash or a check/debit card to get out of the higher interchange fees charged by credit card networks. This was true even if the hostelbookers.com property description claimed that the hostel accepted credit cards!

Also, as I found out on recent trips to Italy and the UK, beware that a growing number of places in Europe will decline to accept credit cards that do not come embedded with an EMV chip.

deant likes this.
  8. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point, I haven't stayed at a hostel in a couple years but now that I think about it you are correct.

Haha!

Yeah I was actually considering getting an EMV card if I go to Europe. Does Chip & signature work as well as Chip & PIN (the reason I ask is cuz it seems like most of the EMV cards available in the US are Chip & Sig not Chip & Pin)