Does AZ give 100% Bonus to 1P

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by bungalow1225, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    Searched the Forums for, but failed to find, any mention of this:

I am flying AZ (LAX - AKL - SYD - LAX). I'm 1P, will I get the 100% bonus to match the EQM I earn?

The UA website says all *A partners give this, although I understand that SQ doesn't, LH does, etc.

Thanks.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to clear the confusion the airline code is NZ, not AZ. And no, you're not going to earn the 100% bonus on NZ flights. Out the top of my head, this is only available on UA, CO, AC, US, LH and some NH flights.

Btw, this is more relevant to the UA/CO forum, as it's their own policy and not a *A-wide thing.

3. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

As I understand it, it's not up to UA/CO to determine whether NZ gives the bonus, so I didn't think it was a UA/CO question.

4. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no *A-wide agreement on mileage earning. The 100% for *A gold members (1P) is something that North American carriers do in general, but it's not an industry practice. In the Miles&More FFP program (LH, LX and others) for example you'd earn a 25% bonus. Also, for certain fare classes you might not even earn full mileage, it's up to the rules of your FFP. For UA you can check your earnings here: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1181,00.html . Be careful as NZ is stingy with miles and many fare classes earn 0 miles.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    And here I was thinking Alitalia was starting some new routes :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I was hoping that AZ was leaving SkyTeam.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about the 100% bonus on LH, unless this is something they recently started giving out. I never got my bonus with them.

8. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    After my recent AZ trek, I wouldn't mind them in *A.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe what you meant is Air New Zealand, which is always a *A member.
    I think MSPeconomist was hoping that ALITALIA was leaving SkyTeam.
    :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, if you fly LH trans-atlantic, and credit the miles to UA, you will get 100% bonus miles as if you fly UA metal.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I'd like to be able to swap AZ for some *A carrier such as SQ or NZ.

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AZ for SQ is a fair straight-across trade.

ROFL

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's fair got to do with it? *A already has lots more carriers than either SkyTeam or oneworld. I'm just trying to level the playing field to promote competition, which would be good for all passengers and elites.

14. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I meant AZ as in Alitalia. I know the OP was mistaken in their 2 letter code. I had a trip with Alitalia in April and was quite impressed with their new seats and their catering in C; as I prefer the *A over all others, I would not mind if Alitalia defected to *A.

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Catering in C has always been very good on AZ. We're talking Italians and food, after all.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're also talking Italian and in particular AZ service. promptness, and efficiency.

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good restaurants in Italy have a tradition of great service, promptness and efficiency. They take great pride in it. To be a waiter or waitress is a profession for which they study and train; not like in the U.S., where it is a viewed as being either as a stopgap while hoping to be "discovered" by hollywood, or a dead end job.

That quality and attitude carries over to the F cabin on AZ. The Y cabin is something else entirely, more like a student mensa (cafeteria) perhaps.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True in very good restaurants, although the pace is leisurely. However, in hotels, airport, train and ferry ticket offices, etc., the service can be abysmal and no one seems bothered by it. Not to mention the propensity to have strikes and other types of labor actions,

19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The strikes are overrated, because the Italians are really good at how they do them. Typical strikes last 4 to 8 hours, enough to maximize economic impact on the company while minimizing impact on employees and customers. Strikes are announced weeks or months in advance and posted on official websites; air transit strikes normally exempt TATL flights, and with rail strikes certain main lines always run during strikes (those listed in the official timetables). That said, in all my trips to Italy I've had almost no issues with strikes. I only recall one flight segment that was delayed an hour or two (out of more than 70 r/t's to Italy).

That doesn't count the time I was delayed at FRA for four hours due to an LH strike; the truth conflicts with the legend; German strikes have delayed me more than Italian strikes.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been caught in strikes in England, France, and Greece too (plus major political demonstrations in France and Germany), but I find the insolent "stick it to the passengers" attitude in Italy to be irritating. Maybe the TATL flight does leave, but there's still no excuse for all check in counter personnel to suddenly leave for a half hour break, for only one of a half dozen staffed passport control stations to be processing passengers, or for GAs to board a packed plane all at once, not by row or zone, just to inconvenience people.

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the last few years, strikes with passport control/etc have been quite rare actually. I don't think there is a "stick it to the passengers" attitude- have not encountered this ever. Trenitalia is the most challenging of all transport methods, and even they have improved significantly in quality of service particularly since 2006.

Gargoyle likes this.