Does any FF program make sense for me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Dovster, Nov 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been collecting (and using) Delta SkyMiles for years. I have been Gold a number of times (and will be until Feb 2013) and even Platinum for a while. Delta, however, is no longer of any value to me -- I have decided not to spend 13 hours in aluminum tubes in each direction and will be doing most of my future travel to Europe.

That means I will probably collect about 16,000 miles per year. Yes, I could put them into my Delta account (I currently have about 50,000 sitting there) but award flights on SkyTeam partners TLV-Europe cost just about as much in taxes and fees as non-award tickets.

El Al's FF program is a complete and total waste for anyone who does not make a great number of trips (preferably in FC) to the Far East.

Lufthansa has the second most flights out of TLV and would be a good place for me to connect on trips to Italy, but there is a problem. My MasterCard gives me excellent travel health insurance for anywhere in the world -- except Germany (where it is issued). If I am connecting in Germany, in order to be covered there, I would have to buy insurance for the entire trip -- and that, at my age, is expensive.

Does anyone here have any suggestions of which airline I should collect my miles at -- or at 16,000 per year will it not be worthwhile at any of them?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points: