Does an event stay paid by the host earn points?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by hopscotch1, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently attended an event at a Hilton. I made the reservation, used my HHonors #, and when I checked in I received all of my elite (Gold) benefits. My stay was paid by the event host, and when I got my bill under my door, it was completely blank. The folio has now posted to Hilton website (completely blank), but I haven't received any points for the stay.

My question is, am I entitled to receive points for this stay?

The main reason I am asking is that It was a weekend event, and I was looking forward to earning triple points on a rate of $119/night.

Thanks for the help.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Since you were not responsible for the bill you will not receive any points or stay credit.

hopscotch1 and marcwint55 like this.
  3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that true at Hilton properties, or industry wide? I received 237 points for a recent stay at Hyatt for my work conference, and that entire bill was direct paid by the company as well. I did get $55 of room service, however, so it might have been for that.

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would assume you paid the room service charge. That is the room service charge was not central billed. If so, the points you earned were for that - not for the room. Remember Hyatt gives 5 points per dollar of "eligible" charges - which often times excludes taxes.

I don't personally know of any chain that gives points when the room charges are on a central bill (not to say there aren't any). On top of that, many hotels do not award points for stays that are booked through "opaque" sites like Hotwire, Priceline etc.

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming that your host got the points for everyone. Depending on your relationship with them, you can ask them to request that the points for your stay be credited to you.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe once the points are credited to an account Hilton will not transfer the points to another account without the normal fees being paid.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  7. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help.

8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    HHonors won't give you credit for base rates paid on someone else's master bill. But they will give you points and stay credit for all other charges/incidentals during your stay that isn't on a master elsewhere. If I'm going to a Hilton family property for an event and my room is being paid for by another party, I always charge some incidentals (lobby bar drink, snackshop snacks, etc.) to make sure I get some points and stay credit for the stay.