Does AA really require 4 flights before granting status?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSY-MSP, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    My AA status went away a couple years ago as I moved away from DFW. So I am back as a general member.

I am looking at a trip out to HYD , and am now sucking it up and probably going to buy up to C on BA, as corporate only pays for Y. The net result if my math is right is over 28,000 Q points, which should give me gold. So I was looking at AA's page and it states that status requires 4 AA flights. Seems pretty straight forward, but I wanted to know if they really hold to that or if they do something different. With this 4 flight rule i would still be a nobody despite having enough Q points. If true it would be significant disadvantage to booking other AA flights when I have status with DL and UA.

I hope I am making sense on this. I am a little tired and have a cold......

2. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i was not aware of this. i know i have well over 600TP's with BA but have not flown on their metal and have no status...i was not aware there was any other like BA.

3. YVR

YVR

Their technical rules are that you require 4 AA flights to qualify. But last year I did all of my AA mileage travel on other OneWorld carriers and didn't meet the 4 AA flight level. The status still came through as Platinum for this year. I don't know if being Lifetime Gold affects that at all though or not?

4. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard anecdotally of a few people who have achieved EXP without taking 4 AA flights.

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never seen a report of anybody who was denied AA status because of not having 4 AA flights. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not very familiar with the BA program (or programme), but I do know that it is easier to make status on BA if you are flying in paid premium. Since that is what you are doing, it might be worth investigating what theis flight would do for you with BA, and possibly joining their frequent flyer scheme and crediting it to that account.

JY1024 likes this.
  7. Alan in CBR
    Original Member

Alan in CBR Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past I've achieved AA status without 4 AA flights. While that information is 3 or 4 years old, I haven't heard anything to say that they have started enforcing the rule. BA definitely does enforce it, and a few years ago Qantas started enforcing it, but not AA that I've heard.

8. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rarely if ever enforced, but the rule is on the books so it could be enforced when AA sees fit.

gemac likes this.
  9. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points: