Does AA ever grant a status upgrade from Plat to ExPlat based on revenue?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by baccarat_guy, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Say you spend somewhere close to $20K a year on AA flights (AA metal), but that only qualifies you for AA Platinum (based on elite points). Does AA ever consider upgrading your status from Platinum to ExPlat based on revenue?

Only reason why I ask, is that there seem to be stories of those to qualify for ExPlat on miles with approximately $5K or less spend; so it seems to make sense that they might grant a status upgrade for those spend a decent amount of $$$ on tickets.

Thoughts?

Travelman likes this.
  2. more like $50K and maybe you could get a call back

Travelman likes this.
  3. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that was the idea of adding the ability to qualify on points (it used to be only miles or segments).

Travelman likes this.
  4. Got that backwards, I think?

5. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How does one spend $50K and NOT obtain ExPlat?

I'm guessing very EXPENSIVE short haul flights?

mikeef likes this.
  6. that's kind of the point, one will hit EXP after a certain amount of spend regardless of fares. But only someone who spends an amount that would get almost anyone to EXP can expect to call up and get a warm reception to their request to be upped a level.

7. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Short answer is no.
    $20K is easy to hit with regular business travel. And to have spent that much and *NOT* make EP is bad planning.

Kaanapali likes this.
  8. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily bad planning, but different priorities.

Some people only book their trips on short notice. Also, some people only fly take the most direct (and fastest routing).

At the end of the day, revenue is revenue.

9. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might also throw in some very expensive F tickets internationally. Those flights to London aren't cheap!

I'm guessing that $50K will get you back and forth to Las Vegas a few times, though. ;)

Mike

baccarat_guy likes this.
  10. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    baccarat_guy likes this.
  11. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I believe they do.

I did not qualify on any basis (Miles, Points or Segments) for EXP and yet my account was changed to EXP in January.

In fact, my credentials package acknowledged this, or at least that is how I interpret the first paragraph of the welcome letter on page one:

"As one of our very best customers, I want to recognize your loyalty to American Airlines and let you know how much we appreciate your business. Sometimes you need a little boost to get where you belong. That's why I'm delighted to offer you AAdvantage Executive Platinum status for 2011." (emphasis mine)

I can only assume this was based on my spend. I travel almost exclusively on AAirpass and my tickets are almost all booked into A (some Y and F). I switched from UA in earnest mid-year (though I had the AAirpass for a while before that), so my run-rate was probably such that I would have qualified had I been traveling on AA all year.

I did not ask for my account to be evaluated nor did I participate in any kind of challenge.

P.S. I think the headline on the front page of the creds package is a little obnoxious, bold all caps "YOU ARE IMPORTANT TO US" and yet, I kind of appreciate the sentiment. I'm still learning a lot about AA and I would tell anyone who asked that the switching costs, so to speak, are higher than I thought, but overall I like AA and I think they treat me well. And I love the AAirpass program. Love it.

Travelman and baccarat_guy like this.
  12. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    CKs spent in excess of $30k, correct? Are they all automatically EXPs?

13. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so - though I would love to have more clarity. I believe I spent in excess of 30k last year and did not get CK- perhaps threshold is 50k for CK and those of us just below got EXP?