Does AA.com now track the itineraries that you are searching?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by miamigrad, Apr 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received the following email this morning:
    http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...rytracking.jpg

It came during my morning commute, so I was only able to read the subject line "Fly American to Los Angeles." My immediate thought was that it was either a promotion or a generic airfare sale email.

Upon further review, it appears that AA kept track of an itinerary that I was considering for purchase (it showed the exact dates I wanted to fly ORD-LAX) and showed me the recent price of that itinerary.

(* This seems to be similar functionality that I've seen on any number of shopping websites whereby a user can put something in the "cart," but if the user never finalizes the purchase, they would later receive an email that the cart has been kept intact and that they may return to finish "check out.")

2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be pretty sophisticated of them - to not just customize the email, but to have that graphic there also. Granted, LA is a popular destination, but I'd still be surprised at that level.

FWIW, Avis now tracks me down to remind me of any and every search I try on their site.

viguera likes this.
  3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've received a similar email in the past. Though interestingly enough, the only destination they have followed upon was LA.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think everybody does that now, assuming you have an account with them. If the site has smart cookies enabled then they follow you around too and keep showing you relevant ads all over the web... Hertz does this to me all the time, but then again so does Amazon and everybody else.

Of course you can browse incognito and avoid any of that, but at times you have to wonder whether or not it's better -- for this particular level of tracking -- if it's a good thing that they keep track of what you search.

Searching is different than browsing, and someone somewhere knows that there's value to that. If you go to AA or Delta or whatever and start building an itinerary, you were obviously interested in taking the trip, and I'm sure they're quite happy to keep reminding you of that. :)

jasher926 likes this.
  5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I get those too. Marketing automation with drip email is showing up as a tool for consumer businesses now whereas it was mostly for the B2B market of the past. As each company upgrades their website CMS I see them adding these features in. Avis as mentioned earlier now does it commonly. Even someone as tech backwards as Delta does it though I find it only works intermittently because DL has such terrible IT systems.

6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I haven't experienced this, and I do a lot of searching, but it might be new, or might be based on specific attributes of your search (e.g., coach only, certain destinations only).