Does A-Club Platinum status actually do anything?

Discussion in 'Accor | Le Club Accorhotels' started by cmj542, Aug 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm traveling through Europe right now, and I stayed at a Mercure (Mercure Roma Corso Trieste ) in Rome for the first time (booked directly through Accor). I have A-Club Platinum status through one of the promos, so I was curious as to what the benefits would be.The rate I booked also included unlimited minibar. I was pretty excited to try out an Accor hotel for the first time as a platinum member, since I've been mainly staying in Hiltons, IC, and Hyatts. I stayed at the Hotel Novotel London St. Pancras, but as a regular member, and had been happy with the quality of Accor hotels.

Ah, the disappointment. I checked in the hotel, to be told there are upgrades available, but they were not available to me unless I paid. The front desk receptionist told me that only Sofitels, Pullmans upgraded and that Mercure never gave platinum upgrades. She also told me that there was no late checkout available (once again, late check-out was reserved only for Sofitels, Pullmans). When I got to my room, the "minibar" included only two bottles of water. I inquired about it, and she told me that the two bottles of water are all that are included in the unlimited minibar.

The hotel was clean and the receptionists were nice, but I'm just a bit disappointed that Platinum status with A-club really doesn't seem to be worth it unless I stay at the higher-end Accor Hotels.

Is this common for A-club stays?

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would complain to the outfit that booked the room (Accor in this case) about the rate with "unlimited minibar" that really meant two bottles of water. When I've asked my travel agent whether the hotel can sub cheap stuff in a minibar or not keep it stocked when one has a rate with minibar, I've been told no emphatically, that it really means you can consume stuff that's normally in a minibar, as most people would expect, including alcohol unless stated otherwise.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

4. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    In short, yes. Privileges beyond bonus points are only available at Sofitel, Pullman and MGallery properties.

However, this is not much different to other programs, where benefits and rewards differ by brand.

I do however wish that some of the premium benefits would be extended to Novotel properties, specially in Australia due to the poor penetration of Sofitel/Pullman/MGallery, and with one key Sofitel capital city property not honoring A|Club status or rewards at all (Sofitel Brisbane).

Sent using my Roman era abacus

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's really strange that Novotel properties aren't included in benefits. I mean, Formula1 hotels sure I get that :) but elite benefits in A|Club aren't what you're used to with the major US-based chains.