Do you tip at the club-lounge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by no-backpacker, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see there are some tipping threads here so please feel free to move this into another one...

Do you give a tip in the club-lounge? When do you do it and how? I ask because I am not used to the tipping-culture (don't shoot me...) and could need some advises.

Xxx.

2. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    By and large I avoid lounges for several reasons, however when I am in them I always abide by my primary rule. If the service is above and beyond I will tip and I will tip what I feel the service I was rendered is worth.

3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tip for adult beverages, not for a soft drink. Don't ask me why because I don't have a good reason. I'm just being honest.

Deacon Flyer and kwai like this.
  4. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    In UA RCCs I tip the bartender $1 per drink. In hotel lounges (e.g. Hilton) I don't with one exception. After 4-6 night stays in a hotel - and if we've spent a lot of time in the lounge - I sometimes give the lounge manager an envelope containing $5-10 per night with a request that it be shared among staff with our thanks if the service has been exemplary. I've always asked the manager in advance and have never been refused. [​IMG] I know of others who do that as well but I wouldn't say it's common practice at all.

no-backpacker likes this.
  5. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since Delta SkyClubs (SC) is a mix bag because of state laws and cost. Some SC have self service and others don't. I don't tip for a lot of reasons and since a lot of the SC's are self service. I can't speak for OneWorld or Star Alliance.

6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I resemble that remark. But if they're stingy on the cocktail pour I need to think quickly on my feet.

7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally tip as much for the friendly smile and polite converation as I do the service. For some reason my standard is to tip $1 when being served a drink in any type of lounge. I figure if I'd tip for a drink I'd pay for in a bar, I may as well throw a couple of bucks the way of the attendant in a lounge where the drinks free.

8. Alan in CBR
    Original Member

Alan in CBR Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the Admirals Club in the US, I tip $1 a drink (even when I get vouchers). The few times I've been in hotel lounges I haven't tipped because the drinks have been self-pour. In Australia I don't tip in the Qantas Club - it's not expected. In the UK I don't think I've encountered any airline club without self-pour for drinks.

Edited to add: I forgot about Asian stopovers. Similarly all the clubs I've visited have been self-service, so no need to tip.

9. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was an exellent tip (eh...:))! In some lounges I have gotten fantastic service (IC Park Lane and my favorite lounge: IC Budapest), and I have been thinking of tipping, but didn't do it because I didn't know how to. Yes I know, strange, but as I said, in Norway we are not used to tip "all over".

Xxx.

Fredd likes this.
  10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do, but I always leave a minimal tip. I find if I leave no tip, the next time I order a drink the service sucks even more than normal.

11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    $1 per alcoholic drink was fairly standard assuming you are being well taken care of and the server is not acting like a turd.

Fredd likes this.
  12. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    And of course offering a good pour in those tiny RCC wine glasses, which means filled to the brim. [​IMG]

sobore likes this.
  13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, it's nice when my Vodka swims near the top!

Fredd likes this.
  14. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the AC, yes, when I get an adult beverage. At the Flagship Lounge, no. However, I often bring the staff chocolates as a thank you.

15. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same with me. I also put the tip in the jar before I order my drink. Don't know if this makes a difference, but at least the server is aware of my tip before mixing the drink.