Do You Still Get Excited?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FlyingFree, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of us on MP are in the game of accumulating points. Many of us travel on business, and we know how tiring those trips can be (although flying in business or first does help ease the blow). We make mileage and status runs to feed our need for getting more miles and value for less money.

I do all of the above. And I get tired sometimes too. But despite everything, a part of me still gets excited every time I board an airplane…because when I disembark, I’m hundreds if not thousands of miles away! I get to see new places – meet new people – have new experiences. This may sound childlike, but for me that’s the true value in what we do –the incredible opportunities that travel creates for us.

What are your feelings?

2. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am of the same mind. There is something surreal about it. When I go to Europe it still amazes me to fall asleep over the Eastern Seaboard and have breakfast as I decend into Amsterdam or Paris.

3. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you find an eastbound flight over the Atlantic amazing you find the same direction over the Pacific even more amazing. Leaving in the afternoon from Asia and arriving in the morning the same day you left. ;)

Like many others here on FF bulletin boards I have never or rarely ever traveled for business. Maybe some day I will have visited every place along with getting tired visiting other places again and again.

BTW I have always considered myself in the game of burning points. Makes the game even more rewarding to me than sitting on a multi-million mile stash. No offense to Randy and his 17 million and any others but it is just the way I play the game.

So in response to the OP -- yes, I still get excited!

Nicole Blaess-Smith and Tiki like this.
  4. ord

ord

I still get excited even after 3 million air miles and I still enjoy traveling despite all the issues and problems that occur. I guess I am just not normal. [​IMG]

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too still get a thrill from actual flying.

Though the TSA has made a significant dent in the entire flying experience being enjoyable anymore.

6. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that the TSA experience often sucks, but I really try not to let it get me down and have geneally had competant and courteous TSA staff. Plus I remember what is was like flying the first few months after 9/11...shake downs at the gate, etc.!

7. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everytime I'm off to the airport, I get a little chill......

8. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only get a thrill / chill if I'm going somewhere new / exciting or that I haven't been to in quite a while.... and I'm not YMBKQLUT, etc. I sat on the fence for a long time with a trip to China because company policy was requiring cheapest fare which was coach.

9. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    It still makes me feel tingly all over when I check my Blackberry in the morning and one of the e-mails contain the ever-magical phrase: Your upgrade is confirmed.

10. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That IS tingleworthy!

11. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the best kind of news.

12. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen the Chicago skyline from over lake michigan hundreds of times and it never gets old. I still strain to look out the nearest window to catch a glimpse of the city. Its safe to say I'm like a kid in a candy store when I'm headed somewhere new. I get equally excited when I visit a airport for the first time (even if just during a lay-over), check into a new Red Carpet Club, or steal a pen from a new hotel. I actually see points as a secondary perk of my travels (and maybe, just maybe a slight* enabler)

*for purposes of this post, the word slight should be interpreted as a major component or core reason

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Heck, I still get excited when I wake up every morning. Taking off in a plane never gets old.

14. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, the tickle provided by a couple exta G's during take-off always makes me smile.

For those of you that like loud humor, Louis CK does a great bit on the Miracle of Flight. Worth checking out for a good chuckle but be warned, he is very loud and a bit crass (although the clip is from Conan so its pretty PG).

15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, even when I'm getting onboard yet another regional jet to head somewhere cold and icy in the middle of February, there's still that magic of breaking the bonds with earth and seeing the world from 30-someodd thousand feet.

Nicole Blaess-Smith likes this.
  16. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just plain LOVE to fly anywhere at anytime. Not sure why, but it is still a thrill.

17. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    That rush acceleration when the engines spool up to take off power always sends a little shiver down my spine.

So yes - every time :)

18. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get excited when I go somewhere new. When it is yet another business trip from IAD to LAX, DEN or ABQ, it's harder to be all that thrilled about it. Thinking of what I am going to do with the miles does help, however.

19. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice, you should make a point to frequent John Wayne to regularly experince the amazing technique that is required to take off there. If you have not had the pleasure, they have to heavily rev the engines before removing the breaks resulting in a feeling that can only be described as a blast off. Everytime we take off at that airport I listen for the chirp of tires. Makes me think the pilots are doing their best impression of teenagers with hot rods.

Nicole Blaess-Smith likes this.
  20. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's even more surreal when you leave Australia at 9am and arrive in LAX roughly the same time on the same day!

Since I am a leisure travel I live in excited anticipation of my next trip and spend hours planning and reading.

21. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes!
    I rather be on a plane and on the road instead of home (for at least 75% if possible)

:)

Cabin fever if I'm not travelling at least twice a month or more.

22. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy going to the airport and always look forward to my next flight [​IMG].

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  23. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still love everything about airports, airplanes, and travel, especially being on the plane in first class. :) Security can be a PITA, but we do have the bypass lines in most American, and lots of international, airports and that eliminates a lot of the stress. I really do hate waiting in lines. :(

The things that I really loved about the movie "Up in the Air" were the airport and security, and airplane scenes--they seemed so much like my life, except, of course, for the fact that I am lucky enough that I always get to travel with my sweetheart. [​IMG]

Tiki likes this.
  24. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get just as excited about travel as I did when I was a child[​IMG]

Chimpy, FlyingFree and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  25. Not anymore, just burned out with all the flying I have done in the last 15 years. When I was younger it was exciting,but after 1.5 million bis miles it just gets old. Now I just want to get there as fast as possible.